Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever seen this type of plant before???

Posted by lupyforever MO (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 15:55

A co-worker bought this plant in town and no one seems to know what type of plant it is. It seems to like to be in the sun and is watered once a week. I have researched extensively looking for what type of plant it may be and I still haven't a clue.
Is anyone familiar?

http://www.dano.cx/~dano/stuff/unkplant.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever seen this type of plant before???

Looks like Violaceae ( violet ) ...

Good Day ...

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 20:30

I have this plant in a container but can't put my tongue on its name. I'll describe it a little in hope that it will help someone ID it: The leaves are arranged alternately on the stem & are opposite. The leaf is fleshy, quite succulent, pubescent top & bottom, pinnate, with alternate veination, the veination showing much more clearly on the bottom of the leaf. The plant is self supporting & not particularly apically dominant. The flowers are borne on the end of thin stems that are dark in color and are usually in groups of 3. The flower on mine is purple & roughly trumpet shaped.

Al

o

this site will get u closer.

i believe its in the gesnerid grouping. im sure horticulture had alot to do with that particular plant tho.

froggy

Here is a link that might be useful: gesnerids

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 23:38

A dear friend helped me to Sinningia, I added concinna for Sinningia concinna? Just a guess.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Have a look

o

Froggy, thank you for the website. I see where the flower looks a bit like a violet... but there are differences I haven't been able to see in other violets. For instance, this plant is BIG! I'm talking a 1-2 gallon container with the plant hanging over in every direction. I don't think violets get so big. Also, the flowers don't come from a central crown, which is often the case in violets. Also, note these little twig things that are the flower buds.
Are there any other 'furry' (like violet)plants that are more bushy and flower all over the plant?
I appreciate all of the suggestions I have received so far!!!

o
a great big violet!

Al, thank you so much for the website. While I didn't find an exact picture of my plant, I found plants that were similar... It must be some kind of violet... a huge violet. Thank you! :)

o

Hi guys,
It's a Streptocarpus, subgenus Streptocarpella, family Gesneriaceae.
Possibly Streptocarpus caulescens, or a hybrid thereof.
Maddy

Here is a link that might be useful: Streptocarpus

o
Yes, this is my plant!!!

Maddy, you got it. Streptocarpus caulescens looks just like my plant. So, here's one more question. Will I be able to grow a new plant from a cutting like I can with african violets, or does it have seeds that I can harvest?
Thank you so much for your help!

o
Found the answer to my question...

Evidentally, you can grow new plants from stem cutting - just like the african violet.
I am going to give it a try. I have had a lot of success with the african violets, so we'll see what happens!
Thank you all for your great help!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here