Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_mohave__kid

Call For Frequently Asked Questions ..FAQ.

The_Mohave__Kid
19 years ago

Hello everyone !!

This forum is starting to pick up quite a bit ... we are building a FAQ section and need your input. What we are looking for are fundamental / simple questions to give those new to this forum and / or botany a starting base of information.

I would suggest questions we can really nail down in a paragraph or so ... save the philosophical more involved material for the forum ... so start brain storming ... we will repost individual questions later so everyone can give in their input on how to answer those questions selected ... I will then edit and enter the answers into the forum database for future reference ....

It looks like this forum is going to be quite a nice addition to Garden Web. I'm very excited about it ..

Good Day ...

Comments (27)

• simplelife
    19 years ago

Hello,

Just browsing through the forums and I stopped here to check it out.

I believe the following questions/answers could really help new users:

1) This one stumped me for awhile when I first got into orchids! Explain how the plant world is divided into family, sub families, genus, species, etc

FAMILY (end with suff "aceae") has SUBFAMILIES (end with
    suffix "eoideae) has GENUS has SPECIES has VARIETIES

2) Explain how plants can benefit from foliar feeding

3) explain how plants grow- different types of tissue (ex. meristem) and why pinching/pruning helps a plant

4) explain what a nitogen-fixing plant does (ex. legumes used a green-manure)

5) explain how some plants are day-neutral and others are affected by the length of darkness they get each day (ex. christmas cactuses and pointsettias bllom during long nights, and tomatoes bloom during short nights)

6) explain the difference between roots formed in water and those in dirt and why some plants might die if water-rooted and stick immediately into soil.

I am sure I can think of more things that could be used for the FAQs, but I cannot right now.

Thanks for listening to my input.

• shelley_r
    19 years ago

OK, here's my list. One sentence to a short paragraph should be sufficient for each of them.

What is Botany? Definition and list of major subject areas it covers.

What is a plant?

Define some of the basic words of botany. Examples: Nomenclature, taxonomy, herbarium, type, phylogeny, etc. Provide links to online glossaries and recommended books.

How are plants classified? A VERY short history starting with Linnaeus' sexual system, the changes that came about with Darwin, the currently accepted taxonomic scheme, and future directions.

How are plants named?

What organization(s) are the official authorities for plant nomenclature?

Is classification a part of nomenclature or is it a separate thing? For example, does an official name include the classification, or do we have official names, but varying methods of classification?

Why are plants renamed and reclassified? I get the feeling that the current trend is to try to classify plants according to how they evolved, but still try to make it fit into the division, class, family system. Sort of like trying to pound a round peg into a square hole, but the square hole with the best fit. Or am I way off-base?

What are the basic parts of plant structure? Roots, stems, leaves, etc.

How do plants reproduce? Just a list of the different methods with a one-sentence description of each.

Some appropriate question about plant growth & development.

How do plants obtain nutrients?

A little something about ecology and plant communities.

How do you prepare a plant specimen for preservation in a herbarium? I'm thinking of the personal do-it-yourself-at-home type of preservation.

That's it for now. Again, I suggest simple, short answers to questions. Just get the words and concepts out there with lots of links to online references. Also, a list of recommended books would be great.

Shelley

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

... a good start ... ?!?! LOL .. Keep it rolling ... this forum is going to be great !

Good Day ...

• bonpw
    19 years ago

This is my fascination. This might go beyond the FAQ, but plants prepare the way for future plants of growing complexity (succession) and have various ways of providing for each other. I'd love to know how to work that into my landscape design, putting interesting things together and watching what happens!

• chaman
    19 years ago

I would suggest some questions such as:
    What is the structure of the seed?
    What are hormons and their functions in different stages of plant growth?
    What is the influence of sun light on plant life?
    What are the pre-requirements of some seeds to germinate such as scarification and refrigeration etc.?
    Why seeds be planted at certain depth and why some seeds like lettuce should not be burried?
    How plant maintains it's clock?
    What is photosynthesis?
    How stems and leaves etc. defy gravity ?
    Why roots move in the direction of gravity?
    Ther will be many more questions from fellow gardeners as we move on.

chiman

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nice questions ... let it roll.

Good Day ...

• nazanine
    19 years ago

- The one I frequently encounter on another forum is a question related to root rot. There is a general tendency in that particular forum by some ppl to say that 'when you dont water your plants the roots die and water next the roots rot'. Although I totally agree with this statement, I think not enough effort is made to differentiate between pathogenic rot and decomposition rot. So, many ppl think that - grossly put - the roots are still subject to disease once they are dead. I think there is a need for a better explanation. One that notes differences between water logged roots/ethylen production/anoxygenic conditions ; fungal/bacterial diseases (that are encouraged in moist conditions) and just dead roots that rot off.

- A paragraph on pH and relation to nutrient availability/uptake would be necessary I think

- symptoms of nutrient defficiency and toxicity. Along the same lines a short description of translocation of nutrients could help too.

I'll come up with others later :)

• maddy_RSA
    19 years ago

Wow, what a list. Great questions, but - are they really FAQ's? By the time you are done explaining all this you will have written a book, and we don't need this forum anymore. You can just post a link and tell us: 'go read the FAQ!'
    Which is not really the point of a forum, is it? We could all just go and buy books and read up on the subject.
    But it's the interaction we need, and the input of many different people with different ideas and experiences. This is what makes a forum valuable.

I think, for now, to briefly outline the scope of this forum, a short explanation of 'Botany' and a few basic words about classification and taxonomy would suffice.
    And perhaps a mention as to WHY it is so important to use the scientific names rather than local common names when talking plants on an international forum! (ok, this is my pet peeve!)

The FAQ should evolve over time, as needed, once you know which questions actually DO keep coming up! By then you also will have enough answers to put together from all the replies...

Just my 2c worth.
    Maddy

• Rosa
    19 years ago

I have to agree with maddy. Mohave, from the looks of the suggestions for FAQ's you will have your hands full and have written a very good botany text as well when all is said and done. A new career for you?!?
    Yes, a few words on what maddy mentions and then lets just start at the top and dig in-looks like we've got plenty of items for discussion.
    Wasn't sure there would be enough interest in the forum and already pleasently suprised!!

• marilou
    19 years ago

Sorry, Mohave. I didn't see this post until after I responded to a different one, Shelly's request for someone to write FAQs.

I'm suggesting simple graphics showing plant structure that people can refer to as they read posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the suggestion, scroll to Marilou's message

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"By the time you are done explaining all this you will have written a book, and we don't need this forum anymore. "

LOL ... No kidding ... we will have to import experts just answer our own questions !! .. but then again it's good for folks to get it all out and get excited about a new forum ... we will edit everything and keep it a simple FAQ for you maddy and everyone else ... hey .. How did we know anyone was even going to show up and post ??? It's only what a week old ??

Thanks for the input .... and please stick around.

A gallery would be nice ???

Good Day ...

• Rosa
    19 years ago

Ok, I like the suggestion on plant terminology. Line drawings don't take much space. Is there a size limitation on either the FAQ's as a whole or individuals?

Maybe one for each of these (only the most common to start with) leaf arrangement, leaf shape, fruit, roots, venation, inforescence, male and female parts and flower shapes.

• shelley_r
    19 years ago

Yes, we all want illustrations. An absolute must. But I was thinking of making it very easy and just using links to other web sites. I'm sure there are many. Here's a link to one that has basic leaf terminology just as an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Terminology Part 1

• nazanine
    19 years ago

sorry I didnt realize I got that off track :))
    Mohave, I started doing sketches/drawings for the Hoya FAQ. What do you think about it?
    Its just at the beginning (haven't had much spare time) but I will be completing the drawings. Next will be different leaf shapes (base and apice), different plant parts, etc.
    LMK what you think

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf

• Rosa
    19 years ago

Nice link Shelley! I have never seen links in the FAQ's and was under the impression it couldn't/shouldn't be done?? Anyone know??

• garden_witch
    19 years ago

How about a suggested reading list? Or list of other sites with lots of botany info (Floridata, botany dot com, etc.)

Also, a list of scientific terms used in botany (a glossary) would be good.

• mdaughn
    19 years ago

One of the most FAQ I get personally from the public (I work in an arboretum) is what is the difference between varieties and cultivars?

M.

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    My two cents. A definition of terms as related to this forum.
    Botany particularly in contrast to other sciences such as horticulture,Agriculture,landscaping.Microbiology.
    Clear definition of a plant.Would assume most interest would lie in vascular plants?? So a definition of this along
    with a note of the exceptions.Fungi,Lichens Commensuls molds mildews and microscopic.Obviously these could be a forum in themselves lol
    A guideline for a question within botany rather than Horticulture ,My assumption is that Botany is natural events within the plant world?? Not say manmade hybrids.or culture??
    Maybe the basics on how a plant survives and reproduces?
    Maybe only vascular plants??
    Maybe some references to books??
    Since there are so many other forums dealing with many subjects a guideline on what type of question to post here??
    Gary

• catalina_101
    19 years ago

Let's not forget the bryophytes, my personal favourite group of plants. ;o)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"Let's not forget the bryophytes, my personal favourite group of plants"

They are quite interesting group of plants ... even in the desert .

Good Day ...

• catalina_101
    19 years ago

That's very true!

I happen to live in one of the mossiest places in the world. I'm very lucky. :)

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Catalina
    Let's skip mildews.I happen to live in one of the "mildewiest" places on earth.I'm very unlucky lol
    Gary

• catalina_101
    19 years ago

I didn't suggest mildews. Not at a fan at all either. ;)

Just bryophytes--I did some work on them and fell madly in love.

• weebus
    19 years ago

Why do plants wilt?

Whenever we get on a discussion about things, people seem to really take notice when this is explained because it is something they can relate to.

I guess the question which should be asked is who(m) are we directing these FAQs towards? If it is other botanists, the answers are already known, or should be. If it is newbie plant growers without much knowledge, are they stopping by here?

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good qestion ..."Why do plants wilt? " ... The plan is to cover some basic information so those entering the forum as beginners can have a bit of a head start so questions don't always have to be answered from the ground up ... and the same standard questions don't have to be answered all the time.

Good Day ...

• gillmass
    15 years ago

it is fair to say that in cultivated plant nomenclature the multiplication sign x is only used for interspecific hybrids.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yes; a hybrid is the product of mating between two different species. Crosses between different cultivars of one species are not hybrids.

Resin

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions