Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epipactis gigantea in CT???

Posted by spittlebugCT Connecticut (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 04 at 21:32

Recently I was walking by my mailbox and noticed a type of orchid growing by it. Being an orchid lover, i got all excited and looked in my flower book for this new type i had never seen before... i found out that it was a "Stream Orchid" or Epipactis gigantea, in the Helleborines family. the book showed that it only grows in the west, then what is it doing here in the northeast??? i am thoroughly confused about this. some info on this species would be of great help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epipactis gigantea in CT???

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 19, 04 at 7:55

You can generally google the scientific name of the plant and come up with a few descriptions and distribution.
Common names can be gross misnomers so a "stream orchid" may not be what it seems - a true orchid - especially if you are sure your species is truely in the Hellbore family.

o

thank you for the info...i foud a great website concerning the broadleaf helleborine. and it does show it living in northern CT. http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=EPHE&rtnscr=qurymenu.html&rtnpar=

this site had some great info on it. Thanks again --dru

o

I did a search and found that E. gigantea (a true orchid) grows in zones 4-8, so maybe even if it is not native to the NE, perhaps it got somehow planted there and survived? Another thing I can think of is that it could be Epipactis helleborine and not E. gigantea?

o

Yes Nazanine, thanks for helping...i found out that i was wrong about it being a E. gigantea, it's actually a E. helleborine. :O how embarassing..lol but thanks for the input guys, i really appreciated it :) -- dru

o

Not to confuse you more, but here's a Japanese species, E. thunbergii, that is quite beautiful with bright orange flowers. You can grow E. gigantea in the NE and it should be available from some vendors of western wildflowers. It is more colorful and larger than E. helleborine, and I've heard it's not too hard to grow. PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Epipactis thunbergii

o

wow! that is a gorgeous plant! its leaves are very simmilar to the E. helleborine... interesting... thanks! --dru

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here