Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changes in Flowering Time

Posted by curiousmachine none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 21:38

Hello!

I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering time changes across time and space. I want to find out what type of research questions would interest people who are into gardening and botany.

My question to all of you is:

If you get to find out the answer to only one of the following questions, which question would you be most curious about, and why?

(1) How has flowering times changed historically across the years?
(2) How do the changes in flowering time vary with temperature and latitude?
(3) Which species experienced more changes in its flowering time?

Thank you so much! I'm really curious about what you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changes in Flowering Time

Maybe (3b)...Which species experiences more variation and has experienced more change in its flowering time?

This question would allow you to address differences related to climate, climate change, mutation/evolution, and many other factors. It would give you a basis to review flowering time variation in a broad way.

For me, investigating the various drivers of changes in flowering times is much more interesting than reviews of the limited aspects suggested by choices 1 through 3. Your choice 1, for example, almost seems more like an attempt to look at climate change, or some other factor, than something really related to flowering times (at least that's how it hits me). Choice 2 is OK, but it makes me wonder why you chose only those two factors. Choice 3 seems more like a question for the botanical version of Guinness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here