Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red plum trees (fruiting)

Posted by mranchhod N. Calif. (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 0:54

Can anyone suggest how we can STOP Red Plum Trees that we had planted many years ago along one side of our property, TO STOP FRUITING? The Trees have grown very tall and large and can no longer be trimmed and produce vast quantities of inedible Red Plums which litter the entire driveway.
Is there any chemical or other process so we can treat them each season so THEY WILL NOT BEAR FRUIT?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red plum trees (fruiting)

I've never heard of an inedible plum before! If they're a bit on the sour side to eat fresh, make them into plum jam or plum pie (delicious!!).

Resin

o
RE: red plum trees (fruiting)

I have seen edible red plum trees in an apartment landscaping in the high deserts of norther Nevada. These were quite good eating.

I have attempted to find one for my home and failed.

If, repeat if, you are into spending and experimenting I once heard an academic hypothesis that you could get some of the stuff made to cause all fruit on the trees in orchards to ripen at the same time. Then really overdose your tree back when it has tiny fruit, just after the blossoms drop. I tried it once on an apricot but run out of chemicals but I sort of feel it might have potential. From my experience I feel you need a really good sprayer and a lot of chemical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here