Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warneckii flower.

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (toulsa@verizon.net) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 5:58

I have a "Warneckii" Dracaena which has flowered. It appears that the infloresence is a terminal spike and I have removed it. My instinct is to cut back the stalk to ensure that vegetative growth resumes through an axillary bud.
If left alone will the stalk cease to grow and will the cane die in due course? Or will the stalk side shoot on its own and continue to grow vegetatively?
I would like the stalk to continue as Mother Nature intends it to. I cut off the infloresence only because I did not want the mess that comes with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warneckii flower.

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 11:20

When dracaenas flower, the flowers do occur on terminal growth and do cause that stem to cease growing until side shoots are formed. I don't know that removing the flowers will change things one way or the other. The stem shouldn't die; it should develop branching growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here