Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many kinds??

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 04 at 7:43

Hi
I noted there are some real Botantists on this list and thought this a could place to ask some basic questions.
1 what is the current estimate on how many different specie of plants.?? Just those that are definitely plants.
Not the commensuls, fungi,microscopic,or lichens mildews
virus and bacteria algae.
2 I've heard estimates that 3/4 of all plant specie occur only within the tropics and there are probably at least an equal amount of unknown specie??
3 What is the most common plant?? Again just those that a gardener would identify as a plant not those that can't make up their mind lol.
4 What is the current estimate on natural hybrids??
5 Does grafting happen naturally??
Please don't go to a lot of trouble to answer these questions.Whatever knowledge you happen to have is fine.
Some sources of further reading would be great!!
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many kinds??

Definetely plants ???

1 what is the current estimate on how many different specie of plants.??

Myself I never counted a quick look at Bold's .. "The Plant Kingdom" states approximately ...

... flowering plants around 250,000 .. Conifers 550 .. Ferns 9,500 ... Mosses 12,000 ... not including Fungi and bacteria organisms about 300,000 plants more or less ...

2 I've heard estimates that 3/4 of all plant specie occur only within the tropics and there are probably at least an equal amount of unknown specie??

There is great diversity found in the tropics ... that is the number of species per acre as is true of other organisms there as well ... and there are many unknown plants there as well ... not sure off hand about world wide distribution.

3 What is the most common plant?? Again just those that a gardener would identify as a plant not those that can't make up their mind lol.

Indeed it is the age of the flowering plants .... what is most common gardening plant ... I don't know.

4 What is the current estimate on natural hybrids??

Beats me ... too many for me to count ?????
5 Does grafting happen naturally??

Yes it can ... root grafting as well as branches.

Check out : "The Grafters Handbook" by RJ Garner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here