Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can late Spring snowfall kill trees and shrubs?

Posted by lovebunny Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 10:39

Hello!

I am wondering if late Spring snowfall can kill/damage trees and srubs?

This Spring, we had a late snow storm (May 31st) where temperatures dipped below the freezing point. Some of my trees and shrubs have not budded or leafed this Spring so I am worried that they might have died. One of the trees, a 5 year old Russian Olive, had a few branches with leaves prior to the snowfall but nothing since then. The leaves that came out have died. My young maple, as well as another berry tree have small closed buds that have never opened. Two of my shrubs (Bridal veil Spireas) have bare branches and didn't flower this year (with the exception of a few small patches).

My husband thinks that my trees are dead but I have refused to let him remove them, hoping that they will flower/bud next Spring. Do you think they have been damaged or could they be dormant due to the late snowfall?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can late Spring snowfall kill trees and shrubs?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 13:20

Late freezes, especially after relatively long warm periods, can definitely kill trees. That happened here (in Tennessee and surrounding states) a few years back and many trees and shrubs were killed.

If your trees haven't leafed out yet, I seriously doubt there is any chance for them. Time to get out the saw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here