Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Urea Force Stomata to Open?

Posted by struwwelpeter 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 11:49

I was told by someone that spraying plants (it may have only been with reference to heliconia) with a solution of urea forces stomata to open. However, I cannot find literary confirmation of this allegation on the web.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Urea Force Stomata to Open?

Was not difficult to find a paper that supports this. Here is an abstract

Here is a link that might be useful: Stomatal behaviour towards four classes of herbicides as a basis of selectivity to certain weeds and crop plants

o

No, the paper refers to "urea ... type herbicides" (diuron) which must refer to the molecular structure because diuron contains no urea. Urea is not an herbicide.

o

Do you have a microscope handy? Would only take an hour or so to test this hypothesis.

o

"Do you have a microscope handy? Would only take an hour or so to test this hypothesis."

No, do you? You have correctly assumed that I have reagent grade urea.

o

I have access to microscopes but not the urea. A common experiment we perform in our botany labs is to take a leaf peel and observe stomatal opening/closure under treatments of auxin, 20% sucrose or distilled water. Tradescantia (Spiderwort), Commelina (Dayflowers), Zebrina (Wandering Jew) are all good plants to use for observing stomata. I am only familiar with the effect that solute concentration or hormones have on guard cell turgidity. I suspect that growth/vigor is the primary response of interest when urea is applied to a plant, so finding a primary source for this claim may require looking back quite far in the literature...or conduct the experiment yourself.

That is all that I can offer. Perhaps someone will eventually come along with an answer to your question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here