Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipomoea indica invasive without seeds?

Posted by Gartenfee z6 Zrich/CH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 12:57

As far as I know the Ipomoea indica does not produce seeds in Spain, but is considered as an invasive weed and grows everywhere and I wonder how does this plant do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipomoea indica invasive without seeds?

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 19:41

Plants may have multiple methods of reproduction (sexual and asexual) like clones in the form of bublets, stolens, rhizomes.
I found this on the web.

Seeds are rarely produced, but as the vine grows very rapidly, often sending runners along the ground to new areas (unknown to the causal observer), it is often thought to be 'self-seeding'. Can cover large areas in a short time! Ipomoea indica can be invasive and should not be planted close to wildlands!.

o

• Posted by Mike85 Fethiye, Turkey (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 16:04

In Fethiye, Turkey Ipomoea indica is widely grown in gardens. Prunings, if kept damp in a heap of garden rubbish, will easily root down. Also rooted stems are probably passed round gardeners, since it has attractive flowers and is easily grown. I would surmise that most of the spread is by humans. I have not seen any seed produced.
Could the plant be a sterile hybrid because it is very strong growing?

o

Hi,

I am currently living in Spain and I can tell you that it produces seeds. It spreads by runners but also by seeds. I have seen it in many place all along the Mediterranean coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here