Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cork2win

What the heck is this?

cork2win
16 years ago

I normally hang out on the "Building a home forum" but I need some expert advice.

We live in central Ohio. I found this thing growing on a plant on our property. It was in a heavily wooded area near a creek. The plant it was on was about 8" tall, but dead so I have no idea what the leaves looked like as they were all brown and shriveled. From what I remember it was a single stem with a few leaves coming off some small shoots at the top and this was hanging from one of those shoots.

I picked it a week ago (August 2nd) and because the plant was dead I have no idea if this was ripe or not. I searched the rest of our acreage and didn't find another one, anywhere. I left it sitting on my counter for a few days before cutting it which is why it's kind of shriveled. When I cut it open, the best description I have is that it smelled like kiwi. I thought kiwi was a tropical fruit that grew on trees but after some research I see it grows on vines too, and can grow in our area. Is it possible this was a kiwi plant? I'm just dying to know what it is because it was so odd to see it, so out of its element.

{{gwi:433399}}

{{gwi:433400}}

Comments (5)