Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moze229

False Aralia

moze229
19 years ago

Hello everyone!!! I have a few questions pertaining to this plant that I've had now for about 6 years. The thing is about 8' tall now, so here is a brief history.

I originally bought the plant for my apartment. I know absolutely NOTHING about plants, but I just thought it looked "cool". It was about 14" tall at the time, with about 4-5 stalks (can't remember). It then contracted some type of pest, and I attempted treating it. Only one stalk was saved, with one leaf attachment left.

I continued to care for the plant as I would any other, watering and feeding occasionally. It started to grow. And grow, and grow and grow. I moved it to a bigger pot (12") and it continued to grow. It was about 5' tall before I moved into my first home.

Now, in my second home (after getting married), it is about 8' tall with only one stalk (looks a little silly, but still a wonderful plant). It appears to be healthy and happy. I've moved the thing with me across the nation, and now I'm attached to it, and really want to know the best thing to do for it. It resides near my front door, and everyone comments on it, saying it's a wonderful plant. So here are my questions.

Should it be this tall? Should it reside with only one stalk? Can I prune the plant in some way? Should I attempt to replant seeds to allow other plants to grow next to it?

My main goal would be propagation, for hobby purposes, knowledge, and to spread the plant around my house. I understand that there are a lot of questions, and I know NOTHING about plants. I don't even know how to properly prune any type of plant. But, I'm here to learn from those who would offer such valuable information. Thanks in advance for any information provided. Thanks for your patience during this long, uninformed post.

Matt

Comments (7)

• Josh
    19 years ago

Hi Matt, Sounds like you have figured out how to keep your plant healthy. Look at the link and I think you'll find your plant. It's now named Schefflera elegantissima but for years I've grown it as Dizygotheca elegantissima. I liked the "Dizygotheca" name because it was one of the first botanical latin names I learned and I enjoyed impressing my friends with it! If this IS your plant, then at 8 feet it may be getting the adult leaves shown on that link.

Anyway, you may find info about it using either name on Google, or in the House Plant Forums here. I've just given mine standard tropical houseplant care..warm temps, moist but let it dry a bit between watering, outside in shade in summer,occasional shower in winter to clean leaves and prevent spider mites, etc. I've never pruned mine, which is only about 4 ft. but it's a replacement for one taller that I gave away. Neither have I tried cuttings or seeds. If you post your question over on the House Plant Forum you'll no doubt find info on propagation...it's a popular plant and lots of experts on that forum. Good luck. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Schefflera elegantissima

• moze229
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I'll check it out. I appreciate the information.

Matt

• djchi82
    17 years ago

Matt,
    I bought a False Aralia back in college with lots of stalks. I nearly killed it off from over watering and excessive moving. When all was said and done the 4 - 5 stalks where down to 1 and it had little to no leaves on it. I ended up cut the stem down near the soil after the top began grow new leaves. About two month after I did so the plant grew back to its original height and with more stalks. It grew like a household corn plant, or Fragrans.
    I am currently trying to grow new stalks using seeds and then transplant them next to the original, I'll let you know how this turns out. If you decide to cut down the stem can I suggest you try air layering it. It is where you injury the trunk/stem and wrap it in moss to grow roots at the injury. After the roots grow you can cut down the top portion of the stalk and replant it, this way nothing is wasted and you have a healthy stalk. I've have not tried this yet but am considering it soon.

Ryan

• rich_dahl
    15 years ago

Nice to find a post on one of my fave houseplants.

I have a question re: mine that is about 7ft. tall; kept indoors BTW.

I have notice that the main trunk has become somewhat sparce aside from on top. Mine has about 12 other stems btw.

Was curious, as plant ages and reaches a preferred height IS IT ALL RIGHT TO CUT the main stem to a lower height to promote new growth???

Was hoping this would help thicken the plants back to it's once original bush-like thickness. It's not too thin now but was hoping to thicken it up a bit more.

Thank you for any thoughts, etc. on this subject. Also, I occasionally use Miracle grow & the plant always seems to have new growth all the time.

Rich

• tjtnt_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a false aralia myself. Its only about 3 1/2 foot tall or so. To anyone who wants to propagate them , I have a somewhat solution for you. At Homedepot they sale some stuff called "Super Thrive " small brown bottle , yellow label. If you have a broken limb or you have a cutting. Soak the end of the plant where you cut it , in 2 ounces of water and 1 cap of super thrive for 24 hours. Over night will do. Then plant in a small container that you will not over water and drains thoroughly. water regularly 2 times a week. This is important. BE SURE TO PUT IT IN A NORTH WINDOW. No direct light . I have mine in my bedroom north window and it is flourishing . I am not an expert. This is just the luck I have had propagating mine.

• cnilson_mac_com
    12 years ago

I have a false aralia that is about 8.5 feet tall and over 3 feet wide. It was quite small when I got it and I neglected it for years. Looking for an ideal houseplant for the room it occurred to me that if the one I had was healthy it would actually be perfect so I started taking better care of it. We were going out of town so I bought a couple of those globe waterers, filled them up and stuck them in the soil. The plant perked up right away and now, about a year later, it is lush and dark green. I really think watering with the globes (I also give it a good weekly watering with the watering can) got the water low without drenching the plant and that gave it an incredible boost. I fertilize it with a little Miracle Grow when I remember, which isn't very often.

• Michael L Smith
    4 years ago

cnilson_mac_com you neglected it and it still grew. You must live on an island.

Sponsored
More Discussions