Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_gw

Cyperus esculentus

Josh
19 years ago

Ran across a statement in a magazine: "Yellow Nutsedge hosts a soil-dwelling bacteria that can destroy soil-borne nitrogen". Article unsigned and no references cited. I'm supposing that the purpose would be to limit or prevent other plants from growing nearby, and that perhaps the Nutsedge can exist on less nitrogen than most plants.

I have a patch of this Nutsedge in my garden growing among other weeds. Perhaps it is like Moss which will slowly colonize a piece of ground as the soil becomes too sterile for other plants? Would appreciate any comments or references to sites which might give me more info. Just find this so curious... josh

Comments (17)

• kdjoergensen
    19 years ago

Would be interesting to know more about which type of bacterias that should be. I have looked through several references on yellow nutsedge, but no reference to any nitrogen destroying bacterias.
    I think the main cause for concern is it's spreading habit together with bulbous growth which makes it a formidable competitor with desireable plants, such as lawn grasses.

Moss, by the way, does not sterilize soil. It is actually a rather weak, but opportunistic plant which will grow where conditions for it's growth is excellent (which is typically where most other plants have problems) such as consistent moisture, hard compact soil, and low fertility. Moss can grow on moist concrete if it has to. Lawn grasses grow best in loose, aerated, well draining soils of high fertility.
    It is the poor growing conditions which makes grass unable to compete with the moss plants. Under regular conditions, grass can any day compete with moss.

Offhand, unless the nitrogen destroying bacteria theory can be substantiated, I would think the bulbous growth habit is a better explanation for it's spread at expense of lawn grasses.

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'd never heard of this bacteria either, but I did know about some plants like Black Walnut and Sunflowers having some ability to discourage some other plants growing nearby. I just find this interesting.

The article was in a publication called Garden Gate, and I don't know how rigorously they edit and factcheck...I suspect little to none. It's aimed at home gardeners...which is what I am...but being eternally curious I wondered about the nitrogen-destroying bacteria. Thanks for at least confirming that it's new to you, too. It just sounded "evil"...lol. josh

• nazanine
    19 years ago

Never heard of it neither, and actually don't understand what is really meant by "nitrogen destroying". Would that mean that this bacterium takes up the nitrogen in the soil? Or breaks down (probably this is what is meant by this statement) unusable forms of nitrogen into usable ones (by your Cyperus)?
    What magazine is this? is it viewable online? I would appreciate if you could send a copy of it (you re probably not allowed to post here). At any rate if there is no reference to back up this statement I wouldnt take it too seriously.
    Naz

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Naz, The magazine was a "free sample" copy sent to me, probably because I subscribe to lots of gdn. mags. It's called Garden Gate, seems to have good basic info. This statement about "a bacteria that can destroy soil-borne nitrogen" just caught my eye when I was glancing thru. It was in a short article called "Weed Watch" featuring the Yellow Nutsedge and the full paragraph read:

"This weed thrives almost anywhere it receives full sun especially in wet and compacted soils. And it's damaging to crops: Yellow Nutsedge hosts a soil-dwelling bacteria that can destroy soil-borne nitrogen."

After searching the magazine's online site including forums, I've emailed the magazine asking for more info. (The article was unsigned and no references were cited). Will post here what info I receive. Still curious...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Gate Magazine

• KarenMN
    19 years ago

Hi Josh, I have Cyperus papyrus, alternifolius (sp?), and isocladus, all growing indoors in containers. They're all very invasive, can't imagine anything else being able to coexist with them without being crowded out. Don't think this is because they destroy nitrogen, more like their roots just grow to the point where they squeeze everything else out, take over, and then use, not destroy, all the nitrogen.

Let us know what you find out.

KMN

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Karen, I too grow Cyperus alternifolius, C. prolifer(aka C. isocladus), and C. haspans 'nanus' as pool plants in summer, inside in winter. To be honest, I even like the C. esculentus but then I like a lot of so-called weeds...lol.

Received a very nice and informative email from the author of the Gardengate magazine article and have asked his permission to cite here the references he furnished. Will post again as soon as I receive his okay. josh

• KarenMN
    19 years ago

Looking forward to seeing that article, Josh.

Mine are all grown inside in containers, but get quite large. I never overpot anything the way I do Cyperus. No matter how small they are and how large the pot, they just fill it in no time and need a larger one. They'd be a little scarey if not contained, I think.

What's haspans 'nanus' like?

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Karen, Confession time: I've had my Cyperus plants so long I'd lost the names so Googled..now I'm really confused. I have C. alternifolius I'm positive. One with tiny spikey balls atop 20" stems is I think C. isocladus. One with slightly smaller heads than C. alternifoius and only 12" tall is I think C. albostriatus (see Plant Delights.com). I also have variegated version. The C. haspans shown on attd. link looks similar to one I grow but it's impossible to be sure...thus the confusion. Resembles C. albostriatus but leaves in head are much narrower plus there are more of them. I added "nanus" because of a photo/description found on Google but now I can't relocate!

Have I thoroughly confused you,too? I agree they are easy-to-grow plants, and by any name are elegant...I use them often with flowers or alone in a clear glass vase. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyperus species

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jim Childs, author of the Gardengate article, sent me the references for the allelopathic properties of Cyperus esculentus, and gave me permission to quote his email here.

"The reference for the information is from The Gardener's Weed Book, Earth-Safe Controls by Barbara Pleasant. The book was published by Storey Publishing, Pownal, Vermont in 1996. I'm sure it's still in print. The ISBN is 088266-921-4. Barbara is a well known garden writer and speaker from Brevard, N.C.
    Cyperus esculentus is well documented to be allelopathic in relation to corn and tomatoes. Check out
    http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=get-document&issn=0043-1745&volume=051&issue=02&page=0181 as well as many others to learn more about it. I've also contacted Iowa State University to see if I can find out more information for you. I'll keep you posted."

I'd also like to add that Jim Childs assured me the magazine Garden Gate is very careful to factcheck all information, so I hereby apologize for my flip comment in an earlier post...I stand corrected (and promise not to jump to unwarranted conclusions in future!). josh

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

I seem to recall reading that there's a bacteria or fungus that grows in the Amazon with this plant that is used for a method of birth control.
    Possibly Mark Plotkin's book.....
    kevin

• Josh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Coolplants, Thanks...I know I've read at least one book by Mark Plotkin. If I can find my book(s) and if well indexed I may have another little fact about this "weed". (I like your name, by the way...wish I'd thought of it first!) josh

• mimulus
    18 years ago

Hi, just googled this plant because I found it listed as an edible plant on Plants for a Future site - "tubers the size of peanuts, abundant, rich in oil, great snack eaten raw". Have any of you tried the "tubers", or would you be willing to check it out and let me know if they really are tasty ("edible" is such a relative term!!!!). If they are good, anyone know where I can get some? It's so hard to find "weeds" for sale in the nurseries! lol

• Josh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mimulus, I too googled ths plant again and found that there are dozens of wild Cyperus which all look similar, so I'm not certain if I have C. esculentus growing in my yard. But I'd be happy to send you a few plants and seeds...then you can decide for yourself re palatability~~grin~~and report back to us. I myself don't quite have the nerve to take a bite...sorry!

Oops, just a thought...I don't thnk it would be a good idea to send this agricultural weed into CA? Can you perhaps find out if it's already growing wild (or introduced) ...from what I read, it seems to be worldwide in distribution in warm climates especially.

When you click on the link, you have to click on"new address" and then scroll down to Cyperus...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyperus esculenta

• cyrav
    18 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I am just a French guy with Catalunian origins. On summer time I have been used to drink Horchata de Chufas which is very popular in Catalunya (and Valenciana too) and is a kind of "milky" drink made of chufas, water and sugar. I wanted to know more about Chufas and I discovered it comes from Cyperus Esculentus. I recently bought raw chufas (Tiger nuts) in Spain and sure it's great as snack or in place of almonds in my breakfeast muesli. There's nice links for Horchata and chufas in Wikipedia.

• Josh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Cyrav. Thanks for the additional info on edible Chufas...good to hear from someone who's actually tried and enjoyed them. Interesting that a plant our country labels an "agricultural weed" is another country's cultivated snackfood. I imagine peanuts, another underground goodie, were perhaps introduced slowly as edible/nutritious and took awhile to be universally accepted, too.

I don't think I'll play guinea pig here, though. I found 6 pages of various Cyperus that look very much like my plant..it would be my luck to bite into the most bitter (or worse) of the lot. I'll wait until I see edible Chufas properly labeled at my grocers. ~~ Smile ~~ josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyperus

• slim_nonso_yahoo_co_uk
    18 years ago

Hi, just googled this plant because I found it listed as an edible plant on Plants for a Future site - "tubers the size of peanuts, abundant, rich in oil, great snack eaten raw". I have triedt the "tubers", .
    Just to let you know that they really are tasty ("edible" is such a relative term!!!!). They are good, anyone know where I can get some? It's so hard to find "weeds" for sale in the nurseries! lol

• pickwick
    18 years ago

we seem to be progressing to the idea of edible, peripheral food crops possibly beyond the boundaries of any protective buffering capabilities of our garden soils (sometimes it doesn't matter).This creates anxieties and uncertainties for me in a changing world. If part of plant sciences include the bioaccumulative aspect of plant uptake studies involving nutrients and contaminants based upon the genetics ,physiology, and environment where a specific("edible") plant is found, I don't believe I have enough information to go about foraging...

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio
More Discussions