Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar feed for white variegated plants= increased vigor?

Posted by jostus 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 9:54

I know that variegated plants don't produce as much sugar in their leaves as fully green plants due to less chlorophyll in their leaves.

Would it then be beneficial to feed variegated plants a little bit of sugar to make up for what they can not make on their own?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar feed for white variegated plants= increased vigor?

jostus, it sounds so logical doesn't it?
Roots take in nutrients as ions. When salts like ammonium sulfate, potassium chloride etc. dissolve in the soil water, they break up into ions. The mineral ions in the soil water displace (hydrogen) ions on the root hairs of the plant and these are assimilated into the Xylem via the root tissues.
Sucrose (cane sugar) does not disassociate into ions. Molecules of the solid sugar bond with molecules of water and cannot be used directly by the plant.
It is similar to the idea that the application of lime to citrus trees will make the fruit less acid (sour). After all, doesn't lime reduce acidity?
Disclaimer: It has been many years since I had to recall this sort of thing.
I am acutely aware that my knowledge may be out of date.
I welcome enlightenment.

o

Ronalawn, Your logic makes more sense.

The plant I feed sugar to was a very highly variegated Epipremnum aureum 'Marble Queen' (more white then green)

The plant seemed to react well to the sugar.
Do you think it Is then possible the sugar was broken down by bacteria and then used by the plant simply as another carbon source?

o

jostus, yes! However, the process is biochemical in nature and can produce (gaseous) products which would be unwelcome indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here