Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast Flowering Dioecious Plant Species?

Posted by thorins92 Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 11:56

My name is Thorin Siglin and I am a senior at Dolores High School in Colorado. This year I chose to study the sexual preferences of dioecious flowering plants for an independant science study. I know of many dioecious plants but am looking for a specific plant that has to meet certain criteria which include:
- Fast Growing
- Early/Fast flowering (To study gender specificity)
- Species suitable for indoor growth
- Something common and easy to get a hold of either by
a- propogation from seed
b- pre-grown, vegetatative stage
-optionally, would like a plant that also displays dimorphism (hermaphrodite).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
regards,

Thorin K. Siglin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast Flowering Dioecious Plant Species?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 16:11

Most of your specs look pretty easy to meet. The one that may be the most challenging is early/fast flowering. Here's a link to a dioecious plant list:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dioecious Plants

o

Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 15:38

I noticed in the UBC site where you were considering Amaranthus palmeri. Sounds like an interesting choice, and, since it's an annual, it will hopefully meet your fast flowering requirement. The research about how glyphosate resistance is being increasingly spread because of the dioecious nature of this species might also add interest.

o

it doesnt look like any of those plants on that list were fast growing...
does it have to be Dioecious?

o

Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 10:17

The Amaranthus is a fast growing annual.

o

Thanks for your input, I think the Amaranth palmeri is probably the plant for me, how difficult would it be to obtain seeds and germination info?

I know it is considered a noxious weed in parts of the US due to its adverse effects on the soybean and corn crops,

However, in south and central America, it is a highly prized grain used to make a traditional candy...http://www.delange.org/Amaranth/Amaranth.htm

o

Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 10:10

I'd post to the Seed Exchange Forum. I bet someone there might be able to help obtain seed. You might also check in the Farm Life Forum. I've never checked that forum out, but I'd imagine lots of farmers with Carelessweed/Palmer Amaranth/Pigweed problems there.

BTW, the correct scientific name is Amaranthus palmeri.

Germination should be a breeze. Amaranthus palmeri germinates quickly and at a high rate. Varying temperatures increase rates even further. Details are readily available online if you google 'Amaranthus palmeri germination'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here