Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potatos as a way to propagate roses

Posted by whitejade z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 19:01

You all are going to think I grow nothing but roses and that couldn't be farther from the truth ! But I ran across this idea in the spring that some people propagate roses by taking a potato, making a slit in it, sticking the rose cutting in and then burying the potato (with the cutting sticking out to get light of course). I had to try that when I read about it and instead of new roses I have new potatoes :)

It was fun and the potatoes are a bonus but my question is, what botanical science may there be behind this idea?? I will try it again next year if there is real merit in this. Certainly it's easy to do!

thanks much,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potatos as a way to propagate roses

Did you dip your rose cutting in rooting hormone before sticking it in the potato? I don't imagine the potato does anything more than provide moisture. Last year there was a thread on the Plant Propagation Forum about using florist's Oasis in much the same way. Same idea; different medium.

o

No I didn't use rooting hormone - the technique didn't say one needed to. I was under the impression that the starch or something in the potato contributed to the rose rooting somehow.

o

Old folk tales often have a shread of wisdom in them. I never got around to testing it when I had a greenhouse but I'm guessing it is mostly coincidence. Under ideal conditions the rose would root anyway.

My plan was to compare potatoes and a couple of others that we propagate with underground parts, perhaps iris and something else.

o

My mother-in-law recently passed away and I found a 1953
edition of Godchaux Sugars Famous Recipes from old New Orleans. Under useful household hints, it states " if you
wish to slip a rose bush cut off your slip and then stick the stem into a white potato. You will find that the slip will take root. This is the surest way to make it root."
I found this interesting, and I assume it is because potatoes are rich in potassium and B vitamins, plus hold mositure. I just tried a few slips to see if it works.

o

I read a long time ago - and tried - cut a hole in thepotato, fill with dirt, and plant a tomato seed in it and plant that- suppose to get potatoes and tomatoes. I forget what results I had.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 21:24

In my unscientific trials of this method, I found traditional propagation techniques to work much better. There have been threads about the potato rooting method in the Plant Propagation Forum and just about everyone who had tried it found it less helpful than often claimed.

o

The story I heard was that sticking a rose cutting in a potato was a useful way to keep the cutting alive during shipment (in the days before airmail and overnight delivery). Presumably, the cuttings were then removed and either rooted or used for bud wood.

Willow water has been recommended by some rose "rustlers". Cut switches from willows, place them in the water over night, then put in the rose cuttings as they are collected.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow Water for Roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here