Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hope This Isn't a 'Why is There Air?' question

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 19:22

I have no botany training and after coming up with this question many years ago, I am now finally daring to ask it
in public.I have noticed over the years that certain varieties of cut flowers keep flowering MUCH longer than other varieties in the same arrangement. I am thinking of alstromaeria, daisies, hypericum berries.Is there a known reason for this?a particular vascular system or stem makeup, place of origin?
I know this could be a "Why is There Air?" type question but I am secretly holding out hope for an answer.

Th much for your help/tolerance with this one!
best,
mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hope This Isn't a 'Why is There Air?' question

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 12:04

The answer(s) can be quite complex depending on how in depth you want to go, but, very generally speaking, genetic programming (genes, hormones, etc) is the key factor. Below is a link to the results of one study that will shed a little light on some of the factors. Much more can be found by googling 'flower senescence'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulb-type Flower Senescence Study

o
brandon

brandon, thanks so much for this. i now have on my research hat, thanks to you!
best,
mindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here