Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Bog plants"

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 5:44

Hi
Can someone tell me if this term has a botanical definition?? To me "bog' means a flooded but not necessarily submeged area with a pH below 5.
Was checking the Kew library and a plant that I know as
an emergent aquatic was listed in the above title.
To me the word is MUCH more descriptive than other terms such as emersed ,amphibious,emergent and so on while "bog " is very definitive?? So "bog is a catchall term also?? Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Bog plants"

I'm not necessarily a big fan of Wikipedia (dependability is so inconsistent), but they seem to have a pretty good explanation of bog:

"A bog is a wetland that accumulates peat, a deposit of dead plant (and animal) material - often mosses, and in a majority of cases, Sphagnum moss. It is one of the four main types of wetlands (along with swamps, marshes, and fens)." ... "Bogs occur where the water at the ground surface is acidic and low in nutrients."

Gardeners, especially amateur gardeners, often use the term much more loosely than a biologist/botanist/etc would.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia Article on Bogs

o
RE: "Bog plants"

Hi
That's the description that come s to my mind. Surprised me that KEW would use a catchall phrase lol
The plant in question is Aponogeton madagascarensis ,
grows totally subnmerged except for flowers . Would not grow at all in a "BOG" lol I suspect that it does occasionly grow as a "Marsh" plant though I doubt it.
i was looking for habitat pix . Anyway thanks for the link I've lost faith in Kew as the last word in Botany lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here