Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Is this true about fertilizers, or false claims?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I walked into a very well known plant supply company yesterday, and I saw hundreds and hundreds of product claiming to make big robust flowers and plants, from chemical to organic fertilizers!

Some claimed to make plants grow twice as fast as other fertilizers, some in particular.."energy beast","dark energy","microblast" and the "beast master", yada yada. Some claim to make good strong root systems. Some even claim to make a plant grow 3 x faster than normal..

Are these claims true?

Is there a steroid or other fertilizers better than another that will make a plant grow much more rapidily than its normal growth, or are these a bunch of false claims..

I use Foiliage Pro. If there is a product that makes my plants grow a little more rapidly than they do, or encourage strong upper plant and root growth, please share..

My plants are very healthy and robust, I just feel at times like they grow just to slow!!lol

Thanks

Comments (8)

• lycopus
    14 years ago

The claims on fertilizer are just there to help sell the product. Most any decent fertilizer will have all the macro- and micro-nutrients necessary for plant growth. Some plants flower better if given a higher ratio of phosphorous relative to nitrogen, as too much nitrogen favors vegetative growth.

If you water and fertilize regularly the main limiting factors will be available light and availability of carbon dioxide. Good air flow will improve the latter. For many plants a porous soil mix will encourage good root growth but may require more frequent watering.

Plant growth regulators like florigen, auxins, cytokinins, gibberellins, and absisic acid can be used to alter growth in specific ways. These are usually applied at a particular stage of growth to achieve the desired effect.

FWIW I just use regular old miracle grow.

• ronalawn82
    14 years ago

meyermike_1micha, and I wish to add that the life cycle of the plant plays an important role. All organisms exhibit an "S-curve" (Sigmoid curve) of growth. In plants you want do not want any limiting factors during the period of 'grand growth'- that steep portion of the "S" when the plant puts on most growth per interval of time.

• joanie_pomseed
    14 years ago

Lycopus, it's phosphorus, not potassium? Oh, crap...

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Supposedly it is phosphorous, although I was hesitant to add that part because there is probably more made of it than is actually the case. Lack of flowers could be attributed to low P availability, but a balanced fertilizer like 20-20-20 will probably yield the same number of blooms as 15-30-15. It is only likely to be a problem when a high N fertilizer that lacks the other nutrients is used.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Is there a steroid or other fertilizers better than another that will make a plant grow much more rapidily than its normal growth, or are these a bunch of false claims..

There is a steroidal plant hormone, brassinolide, but, in my experiments with a synthetic analog, epibrassinolide, plant growth was slightly inhibited.

There are some growth regulators that make apples and pears bigger.

There are some amazing experimental results for 1-triacontanol published in scientific journals but those results are difficult, if not impossible, to reproduce. Triacontanol is reputed to be widely used in Chinese and Indian agriculture.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very interesting!

Thanks for making my visits to the hydroponics store alot less confusing and simpler for me, knowing I can just walk right past all these hundreds of different kinds and make a beeline for the FP.
    This does have all the nutrients needed plus more.It even has calcium and Mg in it.
    I can't handle walking into a supermarket wondering which tootpaste out of hundreds works best for my teeth, let alone the fertilizer that works best for my plants.lol

It is nice to come here and see such knowledgable people like you all so willing to share your expertise and kindness.

Lycopus, I am rather suprised though that you use just plain ole MG. I have been led to believe it is missing all the macro and micro-nutrients needed for most plants.. I have never had any luck using this..Hum
    That is why I have been using FP which as ALL the minors,macro-nutrients and the 3 numbers..

Thankyou so much!

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Let's see...I just went and got my package of Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food.

It is 15-30-15, so there are the primary macros; nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium.

For secondary macros it does not list Calcium, Magnesium, or Sulfur. However, many of the salts listed are sulfates. The lack of Calcium and Magnesium are not of concern since I have hard water.

Micronutrients: Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, and Molybdenum. Chlorides not specifically listed but provided by the various salts of the above.

Perhaps if you have soft water that would explain your lack of success using MG. A lack of Mg can be helped by the addition of vermiculite in the potting mix.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou Lycopus..:-)