Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Ques about red wavelengths of light and effect on plants

cbarry
19 years ago

This is a cross post from the Orchids forum, based upon a suggestion from another member...I appreciate any comments.

The original post is here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg0923001418125.html?7916

I have a rather odd question for those who really understand how specific wavelengths of light affect plants. I remember doing an experiment in a college botany class where we exposed seeds to different wavelengths of light, in different orders, and then put everything in the dark to see what sprouted. The result was that a certain wavelength prevented the seeds from sprouting if it was the last light that the seed saw before going into total darkness.

I have a kind of bubblegum pink room that has always been an excellent plant nursery. Put sick plants in there, and they root, sprout whatever is needed. There's only one average size window which faces N-NE, so the room is not brightly lit. I have some orchids in the window, and the less light needy ones are happy with minimal supplemental light. I'm in the process of adding 2, 2-40W bulb hanging fixtures, over a table as a permanent place for my orchids. And I'd love to repaint the room, but don't want to lose the magical properties that this bubblegum pink room seems to have.

So now my question...Am I nuts, or are the pink walls reflecting a favorable wavelength of light to my plants?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions