Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredsbog

Several plants...and Deer.

fredsbog
16 years ago

Does anyone know the reason that deer do not like members of the family Scrophulariaceae, and also the plant wild senna (Cassia hebecarpa).

I am familiar with deer not liking members of the families Berberidaceae and Buxaceae, as well as species like Asimina trilobum. I am not familiar with why Scrophs and Cassia are almost completely deer resistant. Do they have a toxin that deer cannot deal with? I find it odd that deer here will eat almost anything here, but leave these plants alone.

What thoughts on this do you have?

Comments (7)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Try this forum, might be more relevant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Resistance

• aminbest
    16 years ago

The family of Scrophulariaceae has many members, one of them, like the foxglove (Digitalis purpurea), have digitoxin produced from the leaves.

Digitoxin is a bitter white glycoside used as a heart stimulant.

For the senna plants, especially the genus of Cassia, yield tanbark used in preparing leather.

Tanbark is the tree bark used as tannin.

P/s: Some said that foxglove now is being treated under the family of 'Plantaginaceae'.

• fredsbog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aminbest

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that Digitalis was in the Scrophulariaceae. Interesting on the Cassia. Considering it's deer repellency and bold nature, I'll have to plant more of it!!

Sorry Resin, I don't see where the forum for difficult places has anything to do with the botany of why certain plants are toxic to certain animal species...Just moving the post down the road?

Fred

• aminbest
    16 years ago

You're welcome, anytime.
    Feel great to find right place to talk about botany.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Sorry Resin, I don't see where the forum for difficult places has anything to do with the botany of why certain plants are toxic to certain animal species...Just moving the post down the road?"

Hi Fred - I thought the forum listed 'Deer resistance' in the forums index might be a better place to try, after seeing no responses here for over a month. This forum doesn't seem to move very fast!

Resin

• fredsbog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Resin, I know what you mean...I used to hang out a lot at the bog garden forum but it moves slower than the continents most of the time, unlike the forums that you often hang out at. Conifers and Trees, etc. those are frequently much more interesting.

Problem with the Difficult places forum is, deer here are so bad the advice there is worthless here. They eat things that are supposed to be inedible to them, Ferns, Ginkgo, Convovulus, even buckthorn doesn't have a prayer. Oh well, that's my bad luck!

• aminbest
    16 years ago

At least you don't try to poison those deer and try alternative ways instead.

Have you fenced your precious vegetation? At least you won't get frustrated the next morning

Figuratively speaking, today's curse can be tomorrow's blessing...

Sponsored
More Discussions