Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several plants...and Deer.

Posted by fredsbog z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 21:37

Does anyone know the reason that deer do not like members of the family Scrophulariaceae, and also the plant wild senna (Cassia hebecarpa).

I am familiar with deer not liking members of the families Berberidaceae and Buxaceae, as well as species like Asimina trilobum. I am not familiar with why Scrophs and Cassia are almost completely deer resistant. Do they have a toxin that deer cannot deal with? I find it odd that deer here will eat almost anything here, but leave these plants alone.

What thoughts on this do you have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several plants...and Deer.

Try this forum, might be more relevant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Resistance

o

The family of Scrophulariaceae has many members, one of them, like the foxglove (Digitalis purpurea), have digitoxin produced from the leaves.

Digitoxin is a bitter white glycoside used as a heart stimulant.

For the senna plants, especially the genus of Cassia, yield tanbark used in preparing leather.

Tanbark is the tree bark used as tannin.

P/s: Some said that foxglove now is being treated under the family of 'Plantaginaceae'.

o

Aminbest

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that Digitalis was in the Scrophulariaceae. Interesting on the Cassia. Considering it's deer repellency and bold nature, I'll have to plant more of it!!

Sorry Resin, I don't see where the forum for difficult places has anything to do with the botany of why certain plants are toxic to certain animal species...Just moving the post down the road?

Fred

o

You're welcome, anytime.
Feel great to find right place to talk about botany.

o

"Sorry Resin, I don't see where the forum for difficult places has anything to do with the botany of why certain plants are toxic to certain animal species...Just moving the post down the road?"

Hi Fred - I thought the forum listed 'Deer resistance' in the forums index might be a better place to try, after seeing no responses here for over a month. This forum doesn't seem to move very fast!

Resin

o

Resin, I know what you mean...I used to hang out a lot at the bog garden forum but it moves slower than the continents most of the time, unlike the forums that you often hang out at. Conifers and Trees, etc. those are frequently much more interesting.

Problem with the Difficult places forum is, deer here are so bad the advice there is worthless here. They eat things that are supposed to be inedible to them, Ferns, Ginkgo, Convovulus, even buckthorn doesn't have a prayer. Oh well, that's my bad luck!

o

At least you don't try to poison those deer and try alternative ways instead.

Have you fenced your precious vegetation? At least you won't get frustrated the next morning

Figuratively speaking, today's curse can be tomorrow's blessing...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here