Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockstonegarden

Bulb Nutrition Thoughts

rockstonegarden
13 years ago

I am having trouble. I have read over and over that a bulb, ex. Tulipa spp. are planted as "true bulbs" I have planted these by the thousands, as well as other spring and summer "bulbs" We've all seen the cutaway diagram of a true bulb. It is composed of layers of food storage "leaves" a flower bud and a swollen base stem as well as a basil root plate. I have always augmented my bone meal with potassium-containing fertilizers to nourish the "swollen stem base". I understand we put the bone meal in the in the bottom of the hole to feed and expedite rooting, and because it is quite immobile in the soil unlike nitrogen, but similar to potassium. If we Deny bulbs the potassium ie. planting with just bone meal, are we not denying the plant extra available food for complete nutrition? Nitrogen,of course can be added every year as it should percolate into the root zone much quicker. Perhaps we are to assume that most soils do not have a potassium deficiency, but perhaps it would help to personalize these elusive perennials.

Anyone have and pertinent information?

Comments (2)