Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb Nutrition Thoughts

Posted by rockstonegarden 5b (NS, Can) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 23:02

I am having trouble. I have read over and over that a bulb, ex. Tulipa spp. are planted as "true bulbs" I have planted these by the thousands, as well as other spring and summer "bulbs" We've all seen the cutaway diagram of a true bulb. It is composed of layers of food storage "leaves" a flower bud and a swollen base stem as well as a basil root plate. I have always augmented my bone meal with potassium-containing fertilizers to nourish the "swollen stem base". I understand we put the bone meal in the in the bottom of the hole to feed and expedite rooting, and because it is quite immobile in the soil unlike nitrogen, but similar to potassium. If we Deny bulbs the potassium ie. planting with just bone meal, are we not denying the plant extra available food for complete nutrition? Nitrogen,of course can be added every year as it should percolate into the root zone much quicker. Perhaps we are to assume that most soils do not have a potassium deficiency, but perhaps it would help to personalize these elusive perennials.
Anyone have and pertinent information?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb Nutrition Thoughts

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 10:28

If wondering about soil nutrients on your site sample your soil and have it analyzed.

o
RE: Bulb Nutrition Thoughts

Theoretically, newly planted bulbs need no additional fertilization given a decent soil condition at planting - all the nutrients needed for both foliage and flowers are already contained in the bulb. Fertilization instructions provided by the International Bulb Society mirror this contention. In subsequent seasons, some supplemental fertilization may be required but this is often addressed just by mulching with a good quality organic mulch, like compost or composted manures.

If one chooses to supplement with a packaged fert, it is always a good idea to have your soils tested first then apply what may be lacking. Barring that, an application of a balanced or all-purpose fertilizer in spring as the foliage emerges is suggested. Do not fertilize too close to flowering and be sure to leave foliage in place after flowering until fully ripened so that the bulb is able to photosynthesize properly and replenish its nutrient stores.

and fwiw, most soils are not potassium deficient, unless very sandy or heavily cropped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here