Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garbird_gw

Chemicals/ hormones for rooting plant cuttings

garbird
16 years ago

I have been propogating many of my tropical plants lately using a product called Dip'n Grow. The ingredients are Indole-3 butyric acid 1%, 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid 0.5%, andINERT INGREDIENTS 98.5%. This product has performed extremely well. Most every plant forms roots within 2 weeks. About 98% of the cuttings produce new plants. I have even had Amorphophallus leaves produce new tubers using this product.

I went back to the store where it was purchased and was told that they no longer sell the stuff because ,in their words, the product was just a gimmick.

Can anyone help with some info about these chemicals/hormones?

Comments (9)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I always thought Indole-3 butyric acid 1%, 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid 0.5% were a good combination.

How much do you want to know?

How good is your googling? try ~auxin site:.edu for some serious reading.

• goldenginkgo
    16 years ago

A gimmick, my foot! Those two hormones have been around for 30-40 years and are used extensively to help root any of a variety of plants. Stupid store clerks!

• garbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks albert 135 and goldenginko. The links to the ~auxin site.edu are very helpful,and I want to know a lot more than I do.
    I have tried quite a few other products that did not perform well, but the Dip'n Grow worked on almost every plant I tried it on.I can't believe they don't sell it anymore.
    I'm kind of old fshioned,and enjoy reading books. Can anyone suggest some titles on plant propogation using hormones/chemicals. For now I'll be busy reading the info online.
    garbird

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

Garbird, if you like old books look for The experimental control of plant growth by F. W Went. Went was a Dutch, I think, biochemist who was often taught in university classes as having started this field of study. Amazon had a used copy back on 15 Nov for $4.99+. Probably not much demand for it so it may still be there. Interlibrary loan can almost surly get it from a nearby university.

• taxonomist
    16 years ago

The curreent name for indolebutyric acid is Indolebutanoic acid. Naphthaleneacetic acid has ca. 10% of the effectiveness of the IBA...forget it. I believe you'll have consistent success using HORMODIN 3(0.3%IBA) It's pretty reasonable in price and is most satisfactory for almost everything. Many greenhouse supply companies stock it...try searching the internet!!!
    As Goldengingko said, these chemicals have been around for fifty+ years.

• heptacodium
    16 years ago

Methinks the clerks needed something to say other than, uhm, well, gee, we really don't know, don't think we sold enough of it to keep carrying it.

Anyone who does any amount of propagating knows what IAA, IBA, and NAA are. Anyone who does any amount of propagating knows the name Dip N Grow and Hormodin.

Anyone who says they are gimmicks...yeah, enough said.

Dip N Grow is a liquid, usually used for harder to root species. Hormodin is a powder, three concentrations available. If you need a source for either, let me know.

• gree_knees
    16 years ago

Garbird, I usually use an IBA dip then water with Superthrive, but I don't propagate hardwood cuttings.I think the Superthrive has NAA as a root stimulant.

• treekeeperzone4
    16 years ago

Posted by treekeeperzone4
    Try A.M Leonard at www,amleo.com for the Dip and Grow.
    NAA works on roots some plants that IBA will not root.
    There are different forms of IBA. One is potassium IBA which roots a different group of plants.
    Once you get roots try liquid fertilizer at half strenght,
    this will help get new cuttings to flush new growth.

• galium
    16 years ago

I've used Snip-N-Dip Hormex for years with great success. I purchased it from Charley's Greenhouse & Garden. Active ingredient is IBA which comes in 3 strengths 0.1%, 0.3% and 0.8%.
    Mariann

Sponsored
More Discussions