Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bioactive compound

Posted by birdboyhg PA 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 20:57

I was discussing bioactivity of certain secondary plant compounds, with a colleague. He brought up a point that I seemed to have contradicted myself with previous discussions... The issue was based on differing definitions of bioactivity. In my searches looking for a definition, i seem to come across a repeating problem of many definitions settling with a broad statement like "any substance that causes a change to a living organism" or "any material that has an effect on living tissue". Given such definitions, I can think of nothing that would not, then, be bioactive. Could someone point me to a source that defines bioactivity in a way that does not include all substances. I would imagine a noble gas, glass, some plastics, etc would be considered non-bioactive.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bioactive compound

I don't think there is a single good definition for the word. If you look through the literature where this term is used, you'll see that there are multiple, often contradictory, uses of the word. People in one discipline (health and nutrition, physical therapy, biochemistry, etc) seem to use the word much differently than those in other disciplines. I can't really remember seeing the word used significantly in the realm of botany, so I don't know that there would be a standard definition for such usage.

But, you are so right that, even where the word is used, it's meaning frequently doesn't seem to be very pinned down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here