Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why are some leaves red all year round?

Posted by jackbythehedge (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 6:12

I would like to know why a minority of species possess red leaves throughout the year. I understand this is due to the production of anthocyanins which is costly to the plant and so there must be some evolutionary benefit. Many species have leaves which go red in the fall and I am aware of various explanations why this may be to their advantage. However, this does not explain why some species have red leaves all of the time while most are green in spring and summer. Can anyone answer this question?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why are some leaves red all year round?

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Leafed Plants: Evolution in Progress?

o

Great. Thanks.

o

Interesting article, but it completely fails to mention the simple fact that all the really conspicuously red-leaved plants owe their existence to human selection for a trait considered desirable by many gardeners.

Resin

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 10:20

Footnote: Resin is on a one-man crusade to rid the world of red/purple and variegated plants. Someone needs to sneak into his yard one night and plant one of these:

o

I just found a reddish pink leafed Huckleberry in Redwood National Park. Some folks who work around those parks told me that no pesticides are used in that area that they know of - where that plant is.

Something like Amitrol came to mind. Although anything I've seen with Amitrol pink died.

Anyhow, I'll be keeping an eye on that plant to see if it grows pinkish red yearly.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here