Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluemill_gw

bad bacteria?

bluemill
19 years ago

rather new to organic gardening. have been collecting oak leaf mold, pine needles, dried grasses for building rich loam. contracted uncommon bacteria, which apparently entered skin from scratch on back of leg. wear shorts. dr. said from animal feces. man/ y wild animals go through land. now i am afraid to use manure tea from cow pies [dried] i collect from the open range of southern sierra nevada mtns. input appreciated.

Comments (5)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    19 years ago

A few years ago (3-4 perhaps) an old man in Elko, NV got arrested and fined for collecting materials for compost on government lands. I don't know any other details such as was it BLM or national forest. He was using a truck. Did he drive off-road? Anyway, there are several questions relating to such activity other that bacteria. A bacterium from the wild, as it were, responded to common antibiotics, didn't it?

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Whats the question ??

There are many kinds of bacteria .. E coli is in our digestive track and is a big help to humans .. Not so with E coli from a cow's digestive track this could spell big trouble for a person who has consumed E coli from a cow. In your case sounds like the wrong bacteria in the wrong place. There are bacteria though in healthy garden soils that can cause infections in humans.

I don't know about the bacteria in cow pies but it would be my hunch they do more for the cow then your garden. Thats just a ** guess ** I'm no expert on the ecology and application of microbes.

I would state more strongly if you don't know what bacteria ... percisely ... you wish to obtain from "cow pies" and what may be in there you don't want then your working in the dark.

If your going to use compost teas in a logical manner then you need to know exactly what soil organisms are missing from your soil and why adding those organisms from "cow pies" would help your garden soil. Avoid generalities .. exactly what organisms and why ??

Do some more research consult your local extension service.

Good Day ...

• bluemill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

no. did'nt drive off road just walked 100' off highway. i am aware that removing wood etc. is illegal. but foresters around here are not unreasonable(removing a few cowpies]

• bluemill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

usadding nitrogen thru manure tea as organic gardening books suggest. decided to stop using it. microbe world too complicated and vast. sticking with fish, seaweed, and dr. earth formulations. the other materials i collect from my land is where i got acinetovactor l. woffi when at times i sat on ground with shorts. i have since learned that tetanus and the like can lay dormant on ground for years. just started a strong antibiotic, not gone yet. is county extension at local university or county offices?

• lycopus
    19 years ago

I did a web search for Acinetobacter. It is a common bacteria in the environment, what is uncommon is infection. From what I can gather, Acinetobacter infections occur most often in hospitals. Acinetobacter frequently colonizes wounds but normally does not cause infection. You need to be careful about cleaning cuts, especially after working outside. If you haven't had a tetanus shot in the last few years you should consider getting one.

Sponsored
More Discussions