Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I would like to know...

Posted by australia French riviera (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 05 at 12:11

When a tree is adult,normally it stop growing ....
but what about the rows,do they continue to grow or not?,and if they continue,why the branches,in that case,does not give new shoots ??
Many thanks in advance
phil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I would like to know...

As long as a tree is alive, it grows.

o

Thank you Ron for your response!and the same time ijust see that i made a misprint,calling "rows"what should be named roots

o

To answer your question a bit more fully -- An older tree will usually grow much more slowly than it did in its youth, but it doesn't stop entirely until it dies. That's why annual rings can be used to measure tree age (wherever the rings form once a year). Roots may no longer extend for great distances with each year's growth, but they add many fine roots annually which die and get replaced within the year. Leaves have a finite life span, so even in "evergreen" trees the leaves die and are replaced. N

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here