Return to the Botany Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does street light affect growth/shedding of tree leaves?

Posted by bcake Sweden (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 13:41

As trees close to street light are exposed to light 24 hours a day i'm curious to find out how this affects the trees.

I've looked up on long-day and short-day plants, but it seems that these are only concerned with blooming, whereas i'm concerned with the growth and shedding of the leaves. Does this mean that hybrid trees cannot be long-day plants?
Is there any way of telling if plants are long- or short-day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does street light affect growth/shedding of tree leaves?

The duration of light is probably not as important to plants as the quality of the wave lengths. Some street lamps affect plant growth much more adversely than others. The attached link describes some of the problems associated with some street lights.

Photoperiodic response in plants varies from species to species. They will fall under one of three categories: short-day, long-day, and day-neutral. Those that are short-day plants respond to nights longer than about 12 hours (thus, short day). Those plants will be induced to flower under those conditions.

Long-day plants are triggered to flower when the nights are shorter than around 12 hours. Day-neutral plants don't respond to the number of hours of darkness, but will bloom according to other requirements.

You can look up any plant on the internet to find out its photoperiodic category. And hybrids can certainly be long day plants. Or short day or neutral.

Here is a link that might be useful: Effects of street lighting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Botany Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here