Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with bromeliad ID

Posted by bunster z6IN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 18:41

I believe I grew this plant from seed 3-4 years ago-I had it outside all last summer and except for turning a lovely shade of red, it did well and has increased in size significantly. Could anyone help with ID please?

Image link: need help with bromeliad ID (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with bromeliad ID

Hi Bunster
Your plant is Neo. carcharodon if it has white petals or Neo. Gigas if it has lilac tipped petals (Leme). Both plants are very similar in appearance & size to 1.5 mtr.
I have this plant also with white petals & have been told it is getting a cultivar name of Neo. Great White.

o

Hi Bunster
I may have given you a bum steer there, I only had a quick look at your pick yesterday & have thought you might actually have Aechmea Bracteata which gets a tall branched spike with red bracts. Where did you get your seed from, if you collected it your self you should be able to confirm I.D from a photo of a flowering plant on f.c.b.s.

o

Hi there pinkbroms from 'downunder'-here it is much later, I had forgotten my post, but it looks like you just might have it with the Aechmea ID-it looks closer to that than others I have considered. Thanks!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here