Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID: Catopsis? Inflorescence

Posted by scott-in-sandiego 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 13:20

For the past 2-3 months, I have been watching the progress of my plain green bromeliad, which I think is a Catopsis [?]. This is my third flowering generation over the last 15 years. Its inflorescence is about 1.5 meters and alternately multi-branched. My plants grow virtually no roots if I set them into loose cobble within a pot. However, if planted in potting media, the plants grow roots and get bigger and a bit greener. The entertaining feature is that the plant produces dozens - yes dozens- of plantlets on the inflorescence. I gradually take the pups off when they are double the size of my fist. PLEASE help me with the botanical i.d., along with any knowledge of where this plant is native and the conditions. My plants grow in the full, dry sun of coastal San Diego [Sunset zone 24]. Of course I will gladly trade pups for Vriesea or sun-growing Alcantarea, Aechmea [medium/small], Tillandsia or your leatheriest Neo's.

Image link: Need ID: Catopsis? Inflorescence (29 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID: Catopsis? Inflorescence

That's pretty interesting, but you need to post into the regular bromeliad forum to get any replies. Nobody comes here.

o
RE: Need ID: Catopsis? Inflorescence

It's Tillandsia Secunda, not a Catopsis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here