Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromaloonie

a lazy rainy saturday afternoon

bromaloonie
15 years ago

Howdy all

This afternoon ive been resting finally and ive been searching through a few of the old threads and looking at your gorgeous broms.

Thought i might show you some of mine that look good in pictures that are here on my computer in PB

Please keep in mind that some are possibly not the right ID or just have no Id at all...(i see you guys call them a NOID....lol...i like that name....LOL)

anyhow here we go

here is one taken nearly 2 years ago when i first started collecting them

{{gwi:436323}}

Blue Nude is still one of my favorite broms

{{gwi:436324}}

{{gwi:436325}}

Bobby Dazzler

{{gwi:436326}}

ahhhhhhh Kings Randsom flowering...but im in doubt as to weather it is KR for real?

{{gwi:436327}}

ahhhh...heres one for yas, see the lime green neo with pink bits! i bought it as Earth rose with a question mark, since then ive found another earth rose which is very different. Any Ideas as to what NOID I am?

{{gwi:436328}}

some fun i was having with AD Glorious

{{gwi:436329}}

Johannis Vulcan

{{gwi:436330}}

Charm

{{gwi:436331}}

How yummo is this...I love this pink glow on Enchantment of a night time

{{gwi:436332}}

ahhhhh my front yard 1 year ago

one day this is going to be full of broms once the trees grow a bit

{{gwi:436333}}

Royal Cordovan

{{gwi:436334}}

Medalion and Red Rocket

{{gwi:436335}}

Shelldance

{{gwi:436336}}

Orange Glow

{{gwi:436337}}

ohhhh another Fave

Blackout

thunder cloud

feeling like ive put too much in here for now so i had better hurry up and post...LOL...sorry

Comments (26)

• singer20u
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine,

I've just been looking through all your photo's, wonderful, absolutely wonderful! I'm down in Babinda and we are very rain soaked at the moment, (1.27 metres so far for jan) and all of my broms are starting to look a little dull. I've only been collecting for just over a year now and I am just drooling over your collection. Stunning, just stunning! Thank-you for brightening up my very wet afternoon :)

Tess

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Tess, your not that far from me and I would say our rain cloud is joined, although we do not have the same rainfall as you guys.
    We are off to Tolga/atherton tomorrow to get a brom fix and visit a lady who delights in broms also. Her broms are very dull atm also due to high cloud cover and other reasons too.
    glad you liked the pics, ive been sitting here looking over the last 7 pages of GW and seeing everyones pics...ohhhh how im loving broms and looking at all the colours and displays, what a great way to spend a rainy afternoon

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Hi bromaloonie, always good to see photo's of well grown plants and a nice collection you have too.

Love the green frog - Cheers Richard

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

You've got some beauties, bromaloonie! Enchantment is stunning, and I like your little friend on Blackout!

The one name I would throw out is "johannis Vulcan". I wish I could tell you what it is, but it bears no resemblance to either N. johannis or Vulcan (aka olens 'Marie'). Perhaps it has some "johannis rubra" in it (I still have not been able to determine what species that really is) and/or Vulkan? Hard to know.... Maybe you could call it Johanna's Vulcanoid. ;-)

BTW, here in Hawaii if you ask someone the name of one of their NOIDs they'll tell you it's Neo. Noname (rhymes with mommy and tsunami). Good Japanese name!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi bromaloonie

What a great collection you have. I really like the effect created by the sun behind the plants in the first pic. and also the one of your little insect eating friend on Neo Blackout.

Lovely to look at, keep 'em coming, all the best, Nev.

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Germaine,

You have some lovely plants, your Bluenude has just become one of my favourites as well.

Rick

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning Nev and Rick, your up early....LOL
    Ohhhh I lurve Blue Nude, hes very special, He was one of my first broms and im so glad i picked him up that day when at the market. Hes a good pupper actually already pupping the 7th pup. Not much left of him though.

Are you serious Lisa!!!!!! *sad smile* I love that Johannis vulcan. Hes a bit strapped out there as was growing in the dark. I have no idea of his back ground or who made him but ive also seen it listed on ebay since i purchased it from Linda in Gympie.HeHe i will be keeping it...LOL...YupYup all my noids are Noname too.
    I have a lovely pic of blushing Tiger somewhere here to show you some day.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

I got many of my first Broms from lovely Linda as well . She has a superb collection and i love the way she changed that tennis court into a shade-house . The Earth Rose looks like something Peter Sargent had , I will look over my pics and I may be able to suggest a name for it .

• jaga
    15 years ago

Hi bromaloonie,

Great collection of pics, love that N 'Blue Nude', and are now wondering if its around in New Zealand ??? Ah another plant to hunt for!! would love to see some more pics of your current collection. You have some very nicely grown plants.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well its now a rainy sunday afternoon..LOL and ive just returned home from two brom growers and i must say im feeling very very elated and happy...LOL...happiest ive been ALLLLLLL this year....hehheee
    its the first brom hunt ive been on for a long time and i came home with 70 broms...wow can ya believe it...nope i cant...its my biggest haul ever...LOL
    SO many that i never had
    most are green and spindly but they will change very soon when the sun comes out

Giday Aroid, Yes she is a lovely lady and ive recieved a few boxes from her in the mail over the past 2 years.
    Oh yeah how i love her tennis court...hahaaaaaaaa and her show shadehouse and her gardens. Ive only been there once but it was a trip to remember.

Jaga? is there no way aussies can send to NZ?If we could i could send you one...why oh why must they restrict us...LOL

Ive gotta take some pics of my haul and show you
    Its blowing a gale here as we have tropical cyclone Ellie on the coast....large amounts of winds here right now a few broms have fallen off their pews in the brom house

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a quick shot of my complete haul for today
    not hard to see the newbies in the brom house...LOL
    all those green broms centre of the shot
    {{gwi:436340}}

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Bromaloonie,
    I think I have died and gone to heaven just looking at your plants - and what beautiful photography!!!! My blushing Tiger (sorry about the size, can't work it out).
    {{gwi:436341}}
    ...and my garden about a year ago.
    {{gwi:436342}}
    The tree in the background has finally grown large enough to put some broms under it. Don't know what I'll do when we get our winter frosts...guess I'll have to move them back into the greenhouse, luckily they are in pots. Thanks for sharing your photos.........bromdelicious.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh oh oh Aroid...so sorry for not saying anything bout earth rose...would be awesome if you had a name for that guy
    Its one of my first ever broms and i love it to bitsies

Hey there Blue heeler, your name sounds very aussie....lol.are you in australia?
    I soooo love your Girrafe*faints* I need that giraffe...LOL...hes gorgeous and your back yard is gunna be superb in years to come for brom planting

since coming back to this web site again and reading thru the last few pages well about 10 actually...LOL...it has given me inspiration to let my broms venture out in to the big wide world of real sunlight and into some places in the garden...im getting excited about it actually, when this cyclone passes and i get the time i will start doing just that

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daughter and I went out to write down all names
    some tags were hard to read and some of her writting was also hard to read(shes 12)

new names i got today

Neoregelia
    emerald city great oz
    flash
    takemure silverado
    bobs dream
    deep regard
    takemura crimson
    carnival queen
    sweet rosay
    blast off
    bruiser
    marmey
    sheer purple
    AD april
    Ti Di
    terminator
    grace best clone
    blushing bride
    flesh
    termite
    passion pink
    crimson glory

Guzzy's
    Watermelon
    kapoho flame
    mango
    rubra lutea
    lundal
    flur d anjou
    whitemackii red

Vriesia
    Large yellow
    carlsbad
    bananas
    lucky 13
    large hybrid
    erotica
    Hazel

Aechmea
    amazonica
    phanerophlebia
    fosters freckles
    large
    napoemsis

nidularium procendiu?
    androlepis skinneri
    luedemania orange varigated

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine,
    Yes I'm from southern QLD. I'm sure I've sold you plants via Oztion. I was wondering wether some of your neos. originated in Highfields.

Jennie

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Foggy bottom?
    Im gemsgardengems
    Ohhh if your FB then im soo glad to talk to you*smile* this is awesome

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Bromaloonie - Wow!!! what a haul. Did you rob a bank or do you own one? If that's how the recession works in Qld. I'm moving up there to live tomorrow.

Could you please post a pic. of your new acquisition "luedemania orange variegated". If it's what I think, it should be spelled Lueddemanniana and it's an Aechmea with a very interesting story behind where the name came from.

I have quie a few Ae. lueddemanniana seedlings that are now showing various shades of red on the leaves but I would be interested to see one with orange in the colouring.

If it's still raining cats and dogs up there and you want to kill a bit of time, go to the top right of this page and type "Extravanganza at Home" into the search engine. Be prepared to wait a while as it takes a bit of time to load because there are heaps and heaps of brom. pic's posted by many of our good friends on this site. Well worth a look.

Thanks heaps for your pic's, keep rolling them out, all the best, Nev.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi it's me again. Sorry but I made a boo boo in my last post to Bromaloonie where I mentioned the interesting history behind the name Lueddemanniana. It should have read 'an interesting story behind the name MEND which is a C.V. of Lueddemanniana.

I guess my mind was thinking about all the great pic's in the "Extravangaza at Home" post and not on what I was doing.

All the best, Nev

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL...Nev, I dont own a bank...no no , i got them at seriously stoopid prices of appprox 6.50 each
    BUT i gave up smoking 7 months ago and have not fallen back once so i treated myself for being such a good girl....heheheeee

Hey and thanks for the correct spelling of names. I have been jotting it down. I looked in fcbs last night at my names and there are quite a few spelt incorrectly
    I will get you a pic absolutely definately as soon as i can
    I have Mend

Oh Kerry told me to have a squiz at that thread and it was delicious. I enjoyed it muchly thankyou

I would love to just sit here and pic after pic of my babies but i know it could be over whelming for some and get on peoples nerves im sure so im spacing them out bit by bit....hahhaaaaa

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Nev, just loading some pics now of that brom with the roooooly long name(in my eyes)LOL
    When photographing it i noticed it had a fair amount of fly speck scale...dam dam. But when i do buy from that lady alot of her gardens have it and broms so they stay in a group at my place till they are sprayed..anyhow.....
    Here is a side view of it, its just a cut pup
    {{gwi:436343}}
    The top view is not showing alot of colour right now as its come from a place where it does not see alot of light and is overly fertilised, so im suspecting it is not the colour it is supposed to be at the moment
    {{gwi:436344}}

Jennie Jennie Jennie, I found a few broms that i got from you, some recently and some a while back
    Yang *love it*
    {{gwi:436345}}

something or rather flowered and is pupping
    {{gwi:436346}}

Mexicana? OOOHHHHHHH he is the man on the grandstand, I love it so much. Its the biggest brom ive recieved via mail order ever, but has certainly tripled in size.May I ask how much light he can handle? does he look spindly or too green? Im being careful with him as i dont wanna burn him. he is the bright sunlight green section, but i was thinking he could handle the cream cloth too and be in more light?
    {{gwi:436348}}

And this pendulant guy too has a pup ready to cut
    there is a grasshopper that loves to munch on it...grrrrrr
    {{gwi:436350}}

I know i have heaps more from you, but seeing as though I just moved and shuffled all my broms around they are hard to find at a quick glance....in fct ive lost alot of broms in the shuffle, they are there somewhere but im not used to all their new homes yet...LOL....Its a surprise in every corner

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That "lueddemanniana orange variegated" looks like Alvarez to me. Probably the grower forgot the cv. name and just wrote a description. Nothing wrong with that.

Mr. mexicana can take plenty of sun, and will reward you with pinkish-red tips on the lower leaves, a bit like pectinata but not quite so flamboyant. Above him is an Edmundoa with the white bracts. Not sure which one; I was thinking E. lindenii but the inflorescence of that one usually sits down in the cup more, whereas yours has a bit of a scape to it.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Try Neo Rose Apple for the name .of your Earth Rose.. I just found a named pic on file a pretty good match .. half the name is right !! though it does not match with fcbs , parentage is similar for both .

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks So much Lisa, I do have an Alverez and I was also thinking they looked similar...well there you go hey. I will watch it as it grows and definately compare

Ahhhhh so Mexicana can see more sun...Yay...thought he looked the type.....lol

Oh and yes that other one is Edmundoa lindenii ...yes thats rings a bell definately. I wonder why it has that flower up high tho?
    is it not seeing enough light?
    It flowered within weeks after i recieved it so maybe it was a climate thing?

Aroid....LOL....the fella who sold that brom to me said apple rose could be the other name for it, but he had it the other way round, that was WAYYYYY back a couple of years ago when i first started collecting but names didnt mean much to me then. I did look it up but there was no similarity.
    Thankyou so much for having a further look for me.I will go check it out on FCBS again

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine,
    Lisa got the name's right. Mexicana will colour up lots more in high light. I think the Edmundoa wil flatten out more yet and the flower will change as it matures, It looks very new. takes ages to come out properly and stays in great shape for months.. Can't think what the other one is and I'm too lazy to look it up. Was it Aech Weilbachii Pendula? Thanks for showing me my babies, it's wonderful that they have gone to such a good home. No frosts up your way I bet.
    FB

• singer20u
    15 years ago

The Natures Collection ebay store has a pix of a beautiful sunned up mexicana. i have one too, it's only about a third the size of yours, unfortunately he seems to be the main grasshopper meal in the shade house...gggrrrr

had to laugh, my whole brom collection wouldn't be not much bigger then your new haul of brom's :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay-Mexicana

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep Jennie thats the one,Weilbachii Pendula, cant wait to see a flower, doesnt take much for me get excited...LOL
    I love your broms, i have my eye on those Vri's at the moment...heheheee. But i dont have an arm or a leg spare to pay for them...LOL
    Yes and now you know exactly where your broms end up. Definately well loved. I sent photos to Cleolady in Oz of my brom house as we are friends and she is a lovely lady. She was tickled pink to know where hers go too. Ive bought a couple of bits and pieces a while back

And WOW to that Mexicana singer20u, thanks so much for directing me to that pic. Looks awesome, im so glad i bought it now. Looks like im gunna be finding a home for it down the sunny end of my brom house or even one day give him some real dinky di sunshine.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions