Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

The most friendly Dyckia & Hechtia

stephania
18 years ago

Hi Bromanias, yesterday I repotted some of my clumping Dyckia in my front yard and I found that the 'Naked Lady' is the most friendly among such a ferocious group!! she's really naked. I hope some day she will have a variegated pup to enhance her plain-green.

Another one is Hechtia tillandsioides which I like his spineless leaves too.

Comments (10)

• bihai
    18 years ago

I agree, I love Dyckia Naked Lady! She's a breeze to divide and repot when you compare her to something like D. Cherry Coke!

• stephania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey..Bihai..Do you grow Dyckia estevesii ? One of my best friend got this species from Dutch Vandervort for me last year. They are also look friendly as they have distichous leaves (fan-shape) that safely to do somethigs with them. I don't know how big this remarkable Dyc. can grow. I've seen in Eddie Esteves site, in the picture it seem to be a huge one.

Contrary to those bigger species, I just got Dyckia chloristaminea small form from Tropiflora. It's really cute. This should be one of a friendly group,too.

• bihai
    18 years ago

Yes I have both of those as well.
    Estevesii is very slow growing.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

'Naked Lady' was my first Dyckia, several years back. I agree; it's a (comparitive) breeze to repot.
    I had no idea there was a distichous Dyckia! What a great-looking plant I think I need to hang out here more often...though I think it could be dangerous (the house is already full!)

• stephania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bihai, I'd like to tell you something that Dykia estevesii, they really take more water than I think!! I have 4 plants, two of them I grow in plastic pot another in clay pot. Those in plastic which received more water from auto-sprinkle can reach a foot span within 4 month form 5" when they arrived here. But in the clay pot that I put at cactus corner, they just have only two more leaves with 7" growth.

Ooojen, I hope you will have one, it's a really remarkable Dyckia. You will certainly ignore its danger.

• bihai
    18 years ago

You have to take in consideration the difference in our climates. I only have a tropical climate 8 months out of the year, where I give lots of water and fertilizer. In the cool season things slow down a lot here.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I have an almost tropical climate for about 6 weeks of the year. I guess it'd be a while before any Dyckia grew too big at my house!
    Stephania-- I do have a few of the spiny ones, and I really enjoy their looks, in spite of the way they can saw into me if I'm not careful! You've talked me into trying estevesii (that was easy, huh?). I'll keep my eyes open for one.

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Leucadia, I think we talk about different plant, but nearly the same name.
    What we mentioned is a xerophytic bromeliads with normally has spines of leaves,
    but this one not, Dyckia 'Naked Lady' or sometimes called 'Nude Lady'

{{gwi:436356}}

• Patris
    17 years ago

Ooojen, if you happen to find estevesii anywhere please let me know. I am on a 1 year waiting list from Michaels!!

Stephania got me hooked on it several months back and finally decided to order one only to find out I'm not the only one wanting it. Is well worth the wait for me at least!

Sponsored
More Discussions