Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

Mounting on branches

sdandy
15 years ago

Going through old posts about mounting plants on branches I have got several good ideas (and need to go improve current attempts). But I have a couple of questions...is it better to start younger plants mounted so they from the anchoring roots than pulling a plant out of a pot to mount it? Or is it better to mount mother and pup together so the pup has more energy to grow (and just deal with the mother looking rough during the process)?

Do some genera or specific plants prefer to be mounted 'bare' and some planted with some moss and other moisture-retaining material? And does anyone feed plants more or differently than 'planted' ones?

Comments (8)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I think there are two choices. Put adult plants on the tree and hope that their pups root. Or, put newly taken pups on and they will naturally start to root. They will root best in warm and wet conditions so don't start any new mounts in the winter.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Andy -
    I grow many broms mounted on tree branches and trunks, and have done so for over 10 years. I find both plants with an established root system, as well as younger unrooted pups, work equally well for me when first attaching to the branches. Because you can see the root growth versus those in an opaque pot, the more mature broms keep growing more roots - especially in the warmer and wetter seasons as Bromadams said.
    For an instant effect, I tie them on at any time of year. As long as the securing tie is strong enough, it doesn't really matter if they don't form roots straight away - and some varieties take longer to root than others.
    If the potted specimen has a large root system, with chunks of bark etc also attached to the roots, I usually trim the roots back a bit and remove the bark, so that the roots are attached directly to the branch.

I mount all my broms 'bare', onto rough-barked trees (so the roots can firmly attach). Moisture-loving genera such as guzmanias don't work well mounted for me, as I mostly rely on natural rainfall. Where I live we do get good annual rainfall, especially in the warmer months, but that is not enough for most guzmanias. Of course, strictly terrestrial broms such as ananas, pitcairnia, orthophytum, dyckia etc, are not suitable for epiphytic growth.
    One genus which is rarely recommended for mounting is vriesea. I find vrieseas one of the best genera for mounting! They are fantastic rooters (!).

Regards feeding - like in their natural habitat, the fallen leaves, animal and insect poop, and other debris are natural fertilisers. Obviously, slow-release pellets can't be added to their roots. I occasionally spray the mounted broms with diluted foliar fertiliser, if I can reach them, and that does improve their overall health and growth rate.

All my broms grown this way grow more slowly and more compact than those in pots or on the ground, which do take up nourishment and moisture from their roots.

Andy, if you send me your email addy via mine on 'My Page', I could send you an article I wrote for the BSI journal on this subject - if you like (or anyone else who is interested). It includes recommended broms for epiphytic growth, and how I attach them. It is not the definitive way to grow broms mounted, but what works for me.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• sdandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome advice Kerry. That was what I was asking and looking for. As for season, its hard to remember that its winter right now...its been in the 80s (F) for the last several days. And I was wondering about the vrieseas as I was hoping to put a couple up. Sending you an email now...
    -andy

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I've mounted one Vriesea and one xGuzVriesea and both have done OK. I just don't have a lot of them to play with and I don't have good trees to mount them on. Palms are just too smooth for many bromeliads to root on and palms are what I have the most of. I keep trying and some do and some don't.

Most of my Tillandsias seem to work anywhere. They grab on as well as orchids. The T novakii pictured below will probably never grab onto its palm but it looks great, so who cares?

I've also mounted some Nidulariums and not one of them has taken a liking to its location. Too bad, they are staying put until they pup.

I put a bunch of small Guzmania pups on some shrubs and bushes and they seem to be doing OK but not great. Maybe they will survive until the next rainy season and surprise me.

In the end, I mount anything that I have an extra of and see what happens. Success isn't important, I just try something else until I find something that works.

{{gwi:436364}}

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

That T.novakii looks great!

K

• sdandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice plant! How many tillandsias have the red leaves? I'm trying to make a list (so I can get one or two) and I always forget to write them down when I see the names. Ha ha.

• inang
    15 years ago

Kerry, I super-apreciate sending me a copy of your "mounting write-up". This is a big help especially the list of bromeliads good for mounting. Thanks!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi all

Like Inang, I too got a copy of Kerry's article, and for anyone interested in mounting Broms. I can highly recommend it.

It's a wealth of information and a "text book" for anyone like me just starting out in this area.

Thanks heaps Kerry, all the best everyone, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions