Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emery73

Help with 3 Brom Names

emery73
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I received a bromeliad from a friends garden recently, as she doesn't know the name, could this be a Neoregelia carolinae? In the other photos I purchased two Vrieseas', but have no idea what they are?

Thanks everyone!!!

emery
{{gwi:436376}}

{{gwi:436378}}

{{gwi:436379}}

Comments (7)

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

Hi Emery,
    pretty safe to say that the neo is a carolinae, but from the pic I wouldn't want to guess which hybrid it is. From the way the leaves are curling, it looks as though it would like more water.
    The red Vriesea looks a bit like Vriesea ÂPoelmanii Selecta (guessing). It could be worth checking out the website of the nursery on the tag. They might have pics/names of the plants they are growing.
    Cheers, Todd

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Emery,
    The yellow one looks similar to one I bought which was one of the many mass produced commercial Vriesea hybrids which regardless of colour, all seem to carry the same name tag with the word "Bromeliad" on the front, and basic cultural info. on the back.

As Todd says, checking the web could give you an answer, especially the sites of some of the large producers in Europe.

All the best, Nev.

• emery73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Todd & Nev,

I purchased the two Vrieseas' from K'mart, as I usually collect Full sun Bromeliads such as Alcanterea, Neo and Aechmea due to the way we face the sun. These two caught my eye and I've started a new project, indoor broms.

Thanks again
    Linda

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Hi Todd, the Vriesea look like Deroose hybrids.

The red - Vriesea Barbara

The Yellow - Vriesea Tiffany

Cheers Richard

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

fair enough - had thought about Barbara after posting - looks just like mine.
    I always thought Tiffany was red & yellow though.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

"pretty safe to say that the neo is a carolinae, but from the pic I wouldn't want to guess which hybrid it is."

That's kind of a confusing statement, Todd, since N. carolinae is not a hybrid! ;-)

N. carolinae is one of the first species most people learn, so the assumption is often that if it has green leaves and a red cup, that's what it is. The fact of the matter is that plain old species N. carolinae is not something you see in the trade very often these days. Much more common are selected cultivars of it, such as the Meyendorffiis, or hybrids of it, of which there are bazillions! I would agree that it appears to have some carolinae genes in it, but a lot of cvs. can have a similar look when grown under semi-shaded conditions. I suspect it would look fairly different and tell us more if it were grown in a bit more sun.

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

ah, the perils of late night posts ;-)
    You're quite right. I was meaning which hybrid from Neo carolinae (and many others), rather than implying that carolinae was a hybrid.

Sorry for any confusion.

Sponsored
More Discussions