Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromaloonie

What do I do now?

bromaloonie
15 years ago

Hi guys, Im needing your expert advice on what i should now do with these seedlings that keep popping up everywhere all over my brom house

how do i grow them ?

where do i put them ?

and how should i care for them?

Normally i just leave them and let them die but this year i think i wanna give it a go to save their lives

Thanks in advance

Germaine

{{gwi:436625}}

Comments (8)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Try this method from Derek. I guess you can just put the seedlings onto or into the sphagnum. I like to use a 5" pot in a gallon zip lock bag myself. Just get the style of bag that has a small area above the zip lock so you can poke a hole in there and hang it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagged seeds

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Bromaloonie,

You ask for expert advice; well although I'm not an expert I'll put my two bobs worth in anyway.

I have had some success growing brom. seeds and my advice would be to try as many different methods as you can and stick to what works best for you.

You say the seedlings are self-sown so it won't cost you anything to try different methods and make a few stuff-ups along the way, I think we've probably all done this, but the joy of seeing what you've raised from a baby is what really makes it worthwhile and who knows, you may just have a champion among your seedlings.

In my experience most tiny seedlings are lost by damp-off caused by planting too deep in the mixture whatever it may be. I have found that transplanting them so the base of the seedling is just level with the surface of the mix works best for me and I haven't lost any since I started doing it this way.

There is one draw-back however, and that is they are very unstable using this method and if they aren't firm they will probably be reluctant to put down good roots. To overcome this problem I stake them with toothpicks for the tiny ones and bamboo skewers cut in half for the slightly larger ones.

Because your plants are already growing "all over the place" in your brom house, they would be already aclimatised, so in my opinion I don't think it would be necessary to put them in a plastic bag, but you mustn't let them dry out as they will dehydrate very easily at this stage. Fine mist spraying would help prevent this.

If the weather is warm leave them near where they were when they germinated and if you cop a cold snap, put them somewhere warmer.

These suggestions are based on what works for me and I hope they may help you in some small way, all the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I've never had to prop up a seedling and I don't ever want to have to do so. They are enough work as it is.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahhhhhhh you have both given me food for thought and a couple of ways to try this

I think if i put them in bags they will fry, bake, cook
    but the spag moss sounds like a way to go to keep the moisture in them
    and what about fertilising them...or just plain giving them food of some sort? would i just spray them with seasol or something like that?
    i put some neo seeds in a container in winter time (very first seed sowing experiment)and most of them survived for a while till they cooked
    so now all i have left is a tray of Africa seedlings and a couple of blue nude seedlings, they have never been fed either...Ive been meaning to give them a spray of liquid food too.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

When growing seed in the bags they need to be a in a cool place with low light. Keep the bags inflated. Harden them off as soon as warm weather comes and then control how much water they get until they are large enough to take rain on their own and not wilt down.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I think the temps in my bags get pretty high, probably over 95F at times. They seem to love that. I open every bag weekly and see what's up and give decent sized seedlings a bit of foliar fertilizer.

But in the end, they grow faster outside the bag but do need to get big enough to stand the cruel world. Snails, grasshoppers, caterpillars and thunderstorms are all tough on seedlings.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I'm surprised that I've never seen any damage from one of these pests. I'm trying to train them to stay away (with a big stick) and they do seem to be learning. This little one needs a few more lessons.

{{gwi:436628}}

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

95F????dont know that in my country...LOL as we are on celcious. I made a hot house and had my seedlings in there in winter, summer came and the poor things just burnt out due to me losing interest and not watering them regularly and they got so hot in there(alot on my plate with home and husband)
    I should have hardened them off like HDD said.
    Im guessing that means letting them out of the bag to get the elements on them?

wooooooooooooo look that that fella, hes gorgeous
    I need one of them...LOL

Sponsored
More Discussions