Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickta66

I wish all seedlings grew this quickly!!

rickta66
14 years ago

Hello all,

I planted some Ae. bracteata seeds four weeks ago, I am amazed at how quick they have grown.

Rick

{{gwi:436764}}

Comments (12)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I think that there is a high correlation between seed size and growth rate and it sure is nice to have fast growing seedlings.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

It those were sewn 4 weeks ago they are slow compared to the ones I am growing...they germinate fast here 5-7 days. I think Japie's germinated that fast also. at 4 weeks mine were about 5 inches tall

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Aechmeas do tend to be a lot faster than Neos. I don't think seed size has anything to do with it, though. If that were the case, Cryptanthus should be faster than any of them, as they have really big seeds.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Rick, great to see. They look about 5 times the size of my one year old Vr. 'Nova' play-around seedlings. What a buzz! Are you feeding them a lot? Cheers, Paul

• User
    14 years ago

Rick, instead of planting all the seeds from mine (a ton), I'll just enjoy watching yours grow . Keep on top of the updates!

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nick,
    I'm only trying to grow out the seedlings after seeing that nice Rubra picture that you posted a while ago. I didn't realise how big bracteata was in real life.

HDD,
    My seeds showed signs of germination after only 2days, I guess if yours were 5" tall after one month then I've got a little catching up to do. Any tips? or is it just that everything is bigger in Texas.

Lisa,
    Good info on seed size, I don't think I'll be growing Crypt seeds anytime soon.

Paul,
    I've only given them a couple of light feeds, I might increase that a little now that I know they are suffering from drawfism, Vrieseas are fun to grow out - I've got some hieroglyphicas that I've been trying to keep alive, they are about a couple of inches high now.

Gonzer,
    I think you should plant a couple, I haven't had the best success rate of growing seeds out to maturity. It sure is amazing how many seeds are in each of those berries.

Rick

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I sent bracteata seeds to the BSI seed fund last summer. Those seeds came from the pups of the mother that I collected from.

BTW, I think you'd get bigger seedlings if they weren't so crowded.

I don't have a newer pictures, this is from last May, 11 months old. I also have another red leafed clone that has darker spines but something came and ate all the ripe berries.

{{gwi:436765}}

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

I am in agreement with Rick, this rubra clone is indeed very nice. I fully understand that he got hooked.

• matt15
    14 years ago

Rick i'm guessing they are from Ray and Martha's aechmea. They look fantastic, i'll be around soon to collect some from you. lol

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nick,
    Thanks for the advice, I've thinned them out somewhat - I didn't realise how many seeds I had placed into that container.

Matt,
    You are more than welcome to some seedlings. I'll even throw in a takeaway food container if you are keen.

Cheers,

Rick

• sdandy
    14 years ago

That is a nice red bracteata. Are the rubra forms kind of uncommon in collections? And man, that sounds like they are fast buggers.
    -andy

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Most people I know grow red leafed or variegated forms. The "normal" one doesn't excite.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions