Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Good Germination

vriesea
14 years ago

I just thought i would post a piccie of a tray of Billbergia seed that my friend Tamera germinated ,can't remember wich species it is ,but can any of you better this effort?

{{gwi:436778}}

cheers ,Jack

Comments (15)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

You'll have to count them first...

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Yikes! You could use that to start a new trend in decorative herb lawns, like the ones that turn up from time to time in gardening shows on TV. Although, I suppose it could get a bit prickly ....

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack and Tamera,

Wow! That's certainly some rate of germination. The question is, do you transplant them or mow them?

I'd really like to be watching when you start to prick them out. Lots and lots of patience and lots and lots of time and space required.

Thanks for showing us Jack.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing..... ;-)

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi every one ,yes Lisa i think its a bit overdone but ? Tamera had all that Sanderiana seed and ? well you see the result,but she does have a bit of a chuckle about it,And yes i am glad i dont have to transplant them ,i did suggest making a lawn this way ,mowing ? yep good thought ,oh well just shows you what can happen if it all works , Jack

• fdnpedro
    14 years ago

Hi Jack, bloody weeds - don't tell biosecurity! I suggest some Roundup to slow them down. Tamera will have to name them all individually (in your dreams!) Cheers, Pedro

PS Has anyone in Aus (or elsewhere) been getting any rain. Sure is dry here now, after 3500+mm last year. Only a few days left in Jan and if it doesn't rain much it'll be the driest Jan on record in the Coffs area - and probably the hottest too.

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

Peter, both are just gorgeous!

Your addressing him 'my height' is to the point...I love its character...reminds me a bit of Nova from the side b/o those slightly upturning leave ends. If hiero was the King of Bromeliads, either we were talking about dethronement or hiero had to be the queen.

Oh boy, I love those strong corrugated leaves on the alleged bituminosa.

I volunteer to help trying to grow out seed from both, it may goes better under the European conditions :-)

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

Ups! Sorry, wrong thread. Well, this is what happens when you have multiple windows open ..I was reading some other posts while waiting for Perdo's thread to work but it just does not seems to work at all. I would post this over there too if I could.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Peter ,I dont think Tamera will plant them all out ,still you got to admit,its a good effort ,RAIN ?what the heck is that stuff ? you got several years worth in one hit last year hmm ? I replied to your posting of the Vriesea species ,but it did'nt show allthough its there , I do like the Vriesea species in the foliage group ,but thats one i have never seen for sale anywhere , but am in the market for sure ,Jack

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That's Bill. sanderiana? Mine doesn't self, but then there are different clones of it.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa ,from memory i think Tamera crossed 2 different clones together ,and she was very keen to grow some ,well you have to be carefull what you wish for hmmm ? I have a dig at her everytime i see it though ( wich is most days )wish some Vrieseas would do it that well ,

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Pedro,

We haven't had much in the way of good rain on the south coast either, but thankfully we are getting the occasional thunder storm with some heavy showers, albiet only short ones, but they do keep things freshened up.

I always suspect the hail will come every time I hear the thunder but it hasn't happened since I put up the extra shade cloth protection; maybe it's looking for somewhere else where it can cause damage to unprotected brom's.

All the best, Nev.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Jack/Tamara,

That is a great effort but I think I would cull them back to a thousand plants or so.

We have been getting a little rain on and off up here, there certainly have been long spells between rain although it seems to be getting more like I remember it here in Brissy.

Rick

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone ,( you have to allow for a few losses ),if you look closely at the photo you can just see the corner of a second tray thats about the same ,No we dont do things by halves here in Port Macquarie ,Just posted the piccie for a bit of a stir really ,and only a thousand plants Rick ? hmmm you must have more room than us.
    Jack

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

wow - they'll keep Tamera busy for a while - I can only imagine what's NOT in the photo!!
    Watching my Bilb seedlings grow so fast and strong along with pics like that are making me think that I might just have to get some more Bilbs on the go to keep me busy while the slower growing species are growing.

Pedro - not much rain to speak of here in Nth/West Victoria. Mid to late December we had a bit in a few storms which was the most we'd had for a long time. Some more would be welcome indeed!

Kristan

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus
More Discussions