Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_heeler

Novars

blue_heeler
15 years ago

How do others feel about non-variegated varieties of broms. Recently bought an xAnagelia Madam Lash from a Big W store here in Oz with the label that it was from a big Brisbane grower (OT) and the name on the tag. Didn't know what the plant looked like but recognised the name. A search on FCBS reveal that Madam was variegated and the plant I bought was not. It did have the very faintest beginning of a stripe on the underside of one leaf. I felt a bit ripped of. On the other hand, I do own a Neo. Gummy which is a Jaws Novar. It is a beautiful plant in its own right. Couldn't get a bid on ebay when I tried to sell a pup though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

Comments (15)

• blue_heeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

...and Jaws
    Sorry the photo doen't go directly onto the message. Still haven't got this stuff right. Any hints?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• blue_heeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trying again to post photos.
    {{gwi:436902}}
    V

{{gwi:436903}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

If you liked what you saw and the price seemed acceptable, then you weren't exactly ripped off, but I do think a novar should say so on the tag. On the other hand, if it had been purchased sight unseen (i.e. mail order) and the price charged was the same as for a variegated one, then that would be downright fraudulent, in my opinion.

• blue_heeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually Lisa, my question wasn't about whether or not I was being ripped of, it was about the worth and naming of non-variegated varieties of plants. Should they be give an individual name and an explanation of their origin? Do they have any value or should they be discarded as iferior to the original. The supplier isn't a little back yard gardener selling at a school fete, but a well-known, established dealer who has plants in stores all over the eastern coast of Australia who would absolutely know the difference. Being 'ripped off'is not an issue really, but a bit more info on the label even the word 'Novar'so the buyer can make an informed choice would have been appreciated. A bit like buying a Gucci handbag to find it is only a replica.

• inang
    15 years ago

Me too, I was so disappointed on some i paid big bucks (mail order)based on the photo submitted by the hybridizer. Even after 3 years the neos or offsprings did not get even the slightest similarity to the photo. I tried all conditions sun,shade,temp.,etc. I knew about unstability, too. At the other end most of my mail orders are more satisfying than the photos submitted by other hybridizers. Some even had names that represent the beauty of the broms - blushing tiger, red tiger, royal burgundy, calcite,etc. I envied those that can see what they are buying.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Umm....... so are you saying Blushing Tiger was a disappointment, inang? If it's any consolation to you, I can never get that thing looking half as good as I've seen others grow it either! I also don't ask a high price for it like some others do, so I plead not guilty. ;-)

BH, are you talking about giving reverted variegates new cv. names? I wouldn't, unless they a) are attractive and distinctive enough on their own to merit propagation (some are, but that's a judgement call you'd have to make in each case), and b) have proven stable over several generations. A lot of variegates are unstable, and you can't rename each pup that has a different pattern. If the variegated form has one name and an unvariegated pup has another, then what do you call a pup with just one or two stripes on one leaf? Too confusing. In my opinion the addition of "Novar" or "reverted" to the tag should suffice.

• inang
    15 years ago

Lisa, please read my 2 last POSITIVE sentences again, I am saying that the name blushing tiger represent the beauty of that neo. And the price is very good too. And mine is also
    prettier than the photo and has all that forms and stripes.
    Sorry, maybe my english is not correct. I got some of your other hybrids, too.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Ah... okay, thanks for clearing that up, inang! I wasn't sure which way you were going on that one. ;-)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

The only problem with Blushing Tiger is that it is so small. I have to put it next to Ae 'Suenos' to make it look bigger. I just strapped one on to a tree last month. I got plenty of pups to play with. Is it a good tree hugger?

• bromadams
    15 years ago

A Blushing Tiger is in the middle of all these mounted broms. I know I'll need to get some shade going soon, but the host plant was annoying me with all the little leaves, so I'm killing it and the dead of winter is the time to do that kind of thing. I may even just cut the thing near the ground and move it to a shadier spot. In the mean time, I think there is room for a few more broms. That Bert should be mounted and not hanging.

{{gwi:436904}}

• bromadams
    15 years ago

This morning I was at my neighbors house and she showed me a cluster of Neo Martins and one had reverted and 1 was semi-reverted. It was actually a decent looking plant. I'll have to get a picture.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

"Yin" is of the most beautiful reverts(Novar)and the largest I have seen

• blue_heeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Blushing Tiger grown under 70% shadecloth. Is Yin a novar or does it just have the opposite stripes to Yang?
    {{gwi:436341}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Blue Novar is no variegation

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Yes, but Yin is not a novar, HDD, unless you mean a reverted Yin. I was confused by that too. I have seen a reverted one and it was very nice, though. That's a case where the novar (if it's stable) might merit its own name, but how different is it really from Gummy? If they're really close, then it's probably not such a good idea.

(not sure how this thread took a left turn onto BT, but nice to see so many people growing it!)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions