Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Brass garden stakes

rayandgwenn
12 years ago

I want to make some stained glass garden art. I think it is a bad idea to use copper as the stake part that goes into the ground, since if the brom leaves touch it, it will hurt (kill?) them.

Anyone know if brass is ok in a bromeliad bed?

Comments (3)

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brass has a lot of copper in it, so I am going to assume it will be bad for the plants also.
    Anyone have and other ideas for a solderable metal that won;t hurt the plants?
    What if I tin (cover it with another metal) the brass/copper stakes- that will prevent direct contact......

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

rayandgwenn - I have no experience with brass but I do however know about poisoning from copper as I lost a lot of plants to it when I first started growing brom's. I've also experienced problems with plants when they made contact with new galvanised wire mesh; in this case I think the zinc in the galvanising is what caused the damage.

I have recently read an article about problems with "metals" by Graeme Barclay. This was in "Bromeliad" - (Journal of the Bromeliad Society of New Zealand Inc) Vol.51 No9 in an article called "Growing Tips for Beginners - Part 4.

Graeme writes ......"fungus will often attack a weak spot in a plant where damage to the leaf has occured from such things as sun scorch, cold spotting or heavy metal poisoning. As mentioned in part 2, bromeliads do not like ANY contact with treated timber and also exposure to copper and zinc, where the smallest doses can cause severe burning to leaves. Secondly, always ensure any water run-off from treated timber, galvanised shelving and nails etc. does not land on plants below."

I would imagine that because brass is normally a composition of copper and zinc. More specifically it is usually 68.5% to 71.5% copper, .07% lead, .05% iron with the remaining ingredient being zinc, it would react on the plants in a similar way. We all know the dangers of lead to humans and as solder contains lead, this may well be harmful to plants as well.

The only definite way of knowing how harmful the metals you intend to use in this garden art are, is to allow a plant (one that is surplus to your requirements) to make contact with the object and see what eventuates.

All the best, Nev.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Splinter-
    Thanks so much for the info. It just confirmed my thoughts.
    I have to rethink my placement of the art.