Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brannon_bromeliad

what is wrong with this bromeliad

brannon_bromeliad
15 years ago

I have never owned a plant before and was given a bromeliad about a month ago. I've watered it according to schedule and kept it on my dresser next to the window as seen in the pictures below. I don't know exactly what it means to give it indirect light. I figured that next to this window would be good because I never open the blinds and thus no direct sunlight. It has gotten all crusty. The tips of the green leaves have turned brown and both the red and green colors have dulled. This was given to me by someone special and I really need to figure out what I'm doing wrong and what to do right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. How do I fix this?

Pictures:

***you'll have to copy and past, I couldn't figure out how to make a picture or a link.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/hankthebeast/?action=view&current=brom1.jpg

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/hankthebeast/?action=view&current=brom2.jpg

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/hankthebeast/?action=view&current=brom3.jpg

Comments (6)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Your URLs aren't working, BB. Have you removed the pics from Photobucket already? If so, you need to put them back. Then copy the HTML tag line (the third one below the pic) and paste it to your message. The image should show up in the preview.

Sounds to me like not enough light, but I'd have to see the pics to be sure. What variety you have will make a difference, as well as what stage it's at. If it's bloomed out already it could just be old age.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

1. Set up your private account with a free photo hosting site(like photo bucket or webshots)
    2. Load your pictures to your photo site.
    3. To post on GW, under each photo are several web addy's...the HTML is the one you need copy and paste (in photobucket its the the third addy under the photo)
    straight in with your written GW post is. You can paste several photo's by repeating these steps. This does require you have two explorer windows open at the same time. One with free photo account and one for GW if you post multiple photo's or you can copy and paste each link onto a notepad for posting to the GW

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

not looking very happy..
    are you able to find a replacement before the special someone notices?

The soil looks moist, but the centre of the plant should have water in it too. These plants need to be watered from above

{{gwi:437510}}

{{gwi:437511}}

{{gwi:437512}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Oh man, that is one crispy critter!

Well, it doesn't look like enough light, but that's probably not what killed it. Damage like that usually comes from a dead root system, which can be caused by either too much water (rotting) or not enough (dessication). Dry air from air conditioning or a heater probably wouldn't help either.

Looks like it *was* a Neoregelia. They can generally take stronger light than some other types. Not much you can do now except give it a decent burial, but next time try giving it more light, and keep it evenly moist, but not soaking or sitting in water. Good drainage is important, and humidity helps too.

For the record, "indirect light" means fairly bright, but not sitting out in the full blasting mid-day sun. A front porch, outdoors under a tree that allows dappled light through, or in a greenhouse with about 50% shade cloth would all qualify. Interior light is much darker than most people think. Next to an uncovered window that receives morning sun would probably be the best indoor location unless you can supplement your light with grow lamps.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi brannon bromeliad - In your first pic, it looks like water in the saucer. Do you always keep water in the saucer? If so it looks like this is the root of your problem "wet feet".

As Lisa said ".......from a dead root system, which can be caused by too much water (rotting)........"

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Looks like a very dead Neo Orange crush

Sponsored
More Discussions