Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

Stranger

sdandy
15 years ago

Hey everyone, so I recently got this little stranger and have no clue what it is. It seems very familiar and it seems like I've seen someone post something similar recently but can't hunt it down. Can anyone help?

{{gwi:437628}}

{{gwi:437629}}

{{gwi:437630}}

Comments (6)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Looks like our old friend xCryptbergia Red Burst, one of the earliest bigenerics, and very common in cultivation.

Here is a link that might be useful: xCryptbergia Red Burst

• bromadams
    15 years ago

My xCryptbergias don't look anything like that. Of course, I've killed off all but 2 of them so I'd have to say it wasn't a great cross, perhaps a bit indiscriminate. But then, it was my first and it was what I had to work with.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome Lisa! Thanks, sure looks like it. That would explain the billbergia-like flower and the lack of real pollen. Now I see what you meant a while ago about bigenerics having 'aborted' flowers that aren't complete. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what terrestrial would have flowers like that...never crossed my mind to be bigeneric.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Here is the ugliest and best growing of my xCryptbergias. I don't expect to register it except maybe as a warning. Have to see what the flower is like and what the pups do, but so far it's a plant that only a mother could like.

{{gwi:437631}}

{{gwi:437632}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

What were the parents of that cross, Nick? Interesting.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

B distachia x C Ti. All of the others had a fair amount of pink and very thick leaves, but all but one of those died. I do still have the one other with quite a bit of pink and very thick leaves, but it's probably going to die since they seem to hate water on the leaves.

I also have xBillmea and xNeobergia (probably) from the same grex! I did the B x A distichantha cross both ways and that is easy to identify since they look so much alike. I'm not sure it will be of interest, but I have several of them and they all look better than the parents so far. They have some interesting pink tones and are almost spineless. A small cold tolerant plant might be worthy if the flower is decent.

I also used a marmorata type Neo's pollen and I can now just start to see some interesting coloration on 2 that I thought were xBillmea, but now I think they are xNeobegia. Until today I didn't think that the Neo crosss worked, but now that I see some marmorata type color, I can't imagine that it's anything else. Right now, these 2 are my favorites of the grex. I put pollen from 4 different genera onto that Billbergia, and I think 3 of them took! I've enjoyed the guessing game quite a bit.

Of course, I have B La Noche x various Neos growing quite well. It's hard to image two deeply hybridized plants from different genera working, but they have. I crossed these both ways too and they are looking real healthy (except for the one pot that was snailed) but they are just green things with no character at this stage.

Here is an old pictures at 5 months of some of them. 2 of these are still alive:

{{gwi:437633}}

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions