Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torby_gw

Moving: How not to kill my Tillandsia?

Torby
10 years ago

I have 3 of these lovely air plants. They're a few years old now. I know next to nothing about them.

But this weekend, I need to move from Chicago to Oklahoma. They're promising temperatures like 10 below (-23C). Any suggestions on how not to kill them, or my African Violet?

Perhaps
A: They're doomed.
B: Don't worry about it, buy some more when you get there.
C: Don't worry about, Oklahoma is overrun with them.

Comments (5)

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

Keep doing what you have been doing. Sounds like temps will be the same in both places. You may need to adapt for temps in summer tho.

• debbyabq
    10 years ago

I left Tulsa, Oklahoma about 30 years ago but I'm sure the weather hasn't changed very much: summers are hot (up to 111F one day) & humid, often engendering thunderstorms and tornado watches; then winters can be very cold with ice storms and snow possible (in the 60s we were snowed in without electricity for 3 days -- in the city, the poorer side of town -- but we had gas heat so we were toasty warm without TV; we put refrigerated food out in the garage to keep). Oh, and in my day, kids still had to go to school and girls had to wear skirts, regardless of weather or temperature... So your Tillandsias will appreciate the humidity and the warmth, but in the winter, treat them like you do in Michigan. p.s., I moved to Albuquerque, which has warm, dry summers, and cold (but not very), dry winters. So I spritz and soak my Tillandsias frequently.

• Torby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the question was how to get them there without freezing them to pieces on the 10+ hour drive.

• 2h1o
    10 years ago

Don't know how large your plants are, or if you have room in the vehicle you are driving...

You could put them in an insulated drink cooler loosely packed with styrofoam peanuts inside your car or truck for the 10 hour drive, and/or add a small heatpack (commonly used to ship fish & plants) to be on the cautious side, especially if transporting in the back of a truck or car trunk.

I'm pretty sure that your vehicle will be heated, so you could probably get by with keeping your plants in something like a cardboard box (inside the vehicle if space permits) until you get to your destination without the plants freezing.

• debbyabq
    10 years ago

Agreed, use an insulated box, like a plastic ice box. Several years ago I got a 48 qt/45 L cube-shaped "Igloo" brand one for $17 at Family Dollar. Place your container behind the driver's or the front-seat passenger's seat, not under the heater in front of the front-seat passenger, as often heaters aim heat down there and the plants could roast (and the plastic melt or give off fumes). Sun through windows might also present a heating problem, so cover container with a light-colored blanket or sheet. When you get to Oklahoma, move plant containers quickly between car and house to avoid freezing temps, ice, snow, wind, etc.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions