Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark83_gw

Tissue Culture

mark83
14 years ago

Has anyone worked with tissue culturing bromeliads? Can you share your experiences with me? I never was the greatest at Chemistry, and so the chemical combinations is what really makes it tough on me. I don't know what each chemical does for the plant production.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (4)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Tissue culture involves having a lab, Mark, and most home growers aren't set up for that sort of thing. It's not impossible set up a small one in your home, but unless you want to propagate large commercial quantities of something, it hardly seems worth the effort. If you're really interested, though, a quick google search will turn up articles like the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Vitro Culture of Vriesea gigantea and Vriesea philippocoburgii

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

It may take a few tries to get it going but its good experience. Sanitation against bacteria and virus are a big factor. Lots sugar in the process.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Mark ,It is to be understood that In Vitro Germination is not tissue culture as such ,in the first it is merely germinating seed(s) on a agar based formula ,wether it be Knudsons standard or a modified one depends on the genera and the different species with in the genera,This goes for Orchids as well ,Cattleya Orchids need less sugar than Cymbidiums or growth is affected, In tissue culture ,you need to first work out where you want the tissue from e,g; the immature flower spike of the Vriesea or the bud ( eye) where the pup(s) would come from ,then you will have to excise the meristemic tissue from there ,it than has to be put in a medium that will allow for Cell multipication inside a TEST TUBE,or some such container ,this all has to be done in a sterile enviroment such as a LAMINAR FLOW CABINET, you will need a microscope , the tissue in flask is put on a shaker table or a rotary agitator ,this is to ensure you do not let the Cell multyplications to grow roots and leaves ,once you have enough tissue you can than divide this, ( using a scalpel ) and repeat the proccesses till you have enough, then you divide the tissue(s) acording to your needs and it has to go in a growing medium ,in a ' Mother flask' it is then grown under Gro lux tubes till a certain size, then you divide the mother flask and plant say 20 little plants in the next size flask in a growing medium ,this must all be done under very sterile conditions in the Laminar flow cabinet, once they reach a sufficient size , you can plant out in a suitable mix ,This a simplified over view of the processes , but it will give you an idea,Not all plants take well to the process and if it is overdone than deformities occur ,for Cattleya Orchids I found 250 to 500 propagations from the original tissue is optimum , Cymbidiums up to 1000 but the less the better ,I trust this may shed a little light on the subject ,and its complexities ,as Lisa suggested i would grow from seed ,with species you will get some inherent variations in the seeds ,wich will not occur in tissue culture , with variegated plants it hardly ever works ,most revert back to plain green plants , all the best ,
    Jack

• mark83
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the informative information everyone. I will have to keep working on it.

Sponsored
More Discussions