Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

What does it mean?

splinter1804
15 years ago

Hi everyone.

While looking at 'What's New' on the FCBS site I looked at a Neo hybrid called Zulu. It shows the hybridizer as Goode,G., James, A.*

My question is, how can there be two hybridizers of the same plant and what's the meaning of the asterisk after James, A*?

Next question - What is the white looking chalky stuff on the leaves of the Zulu plant in the pic., does anyone know?

All the best, confused Nev.

Comments (14)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Hybridizer is Grace Goode and the name was registered by A James

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Nev, it looks like the "white chalky stuff" is just a combination of light reflection and a somewhat dull scurfy coating to the leaf. There may also be a bit of residue on there too from water, chemicals or algae, but it's likely it wouldn't be noticeable if some of the leaf surface weren't wet. When taking a photo of a Neo, it's best to have it either all wet or all dry to avoid this kind of thing. All dry is the most accurate, since a wet leaf may appear much more glossy than it is in real life.

The photo is by Arnold James, who apparently also submitted it for registration. As HDD says, the asterisk denotes the namer of the plant. In this case it appears to be an F2 of Pitch Black, which is one of Grace Goode's hybrids. It isn't clear whether there was a hybridizer's hand in the F2 at all, or if it just selfed and somebody grew out the seeds. Whether that somebody was Goode or James is also open to interpretation. My guess is probably the latter, and he's crediting Grace as the hybridizer of the original, not Zulu. Just a guess.

Anybody know the proper protocol for crediting an F2? I've always wondered about that, as I've seen others claim them as their own creations when all they did was harvest the selfed seeds. Nothing really wrong with that, it just seems a bit odd to list ANYONE as the hybridizer if the plant did it all by itself.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Should probably link to the pic so people know what we're talking about....

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo. Zulu

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I think F2's deserve respect. Maybe you didn't wave pollen around, but then it wasn't necessary. At least he didn't register the entire grex like some others seem to have been doing lately.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

If the hybrid is note worthy enough to register...then give credit to whom ever did the cross...
    Lisa atleast he used his own photo,,,and dint swipe someelse's

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm not disrespecting F2s or F3s, and I agree that if they're nice enough to be registered then they should be. I'm just wondering who would be considered the hybridizer-- the person who made the F1 cross, or the person who collected the F2 seeds and grew them out? There doesn't seem to be a consistant policy regarding that. There's someone in your neck of the woods, HDD, who has an awful lot of registered F2s to his name. Are you saying that he should be crediting the breeders of the F1s? I don't have an answer, I'm just posing the question.

BTW, I second the comment about registering the whole #@*%! grex, as well as the photo-swiping, of course. ;-)

• bryan69
    15 years ago

ok then I have a question. I grew out seeds I collected from a Dyckia Brittlestarf2 which one may be good enough to register. Would It be considered a cultivar or an f2 or f3 or none of the above. It could be a self of f2 or another cross correct?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I dont know about registering F2 or F3 either, I suppose if you grew two good clones and got something good from the cross made from those you could call it your own ..just like if you crossed two named plants and got a good one from it. If the original plants are registered credit has been given to the original hybridizer.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Bryan, if your Brittlestar F2 plant self-pollinated, then the seedlings from it would be BS F3. If they all set up and there weren't any other Dyckias blooming nearby, that is most likely the case. If you're not sure if it may have crossed with something else, then you'd just list the seed parent as BS F2 and pollen parent as: ?

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Aren't you supposed to always lie about the pollen parent? I mean, where's the fun if you show your cards.

• bryan69
    15 years ago

I guess its a crap shoot. There were a lot of dyckias blooming at the same time. I have hundreds of plants. So the question should be---- Who's your daddy?

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the failings of the Bromdex. If they can't live without a hybridizer name when there isn't one, then too bad. If they don't want to provide a specific form to collect the registration of an F2 type plant then just do whatever you feel like doing.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone - Thanks HDD and Lisa for the quick responses to my questions.
    Gee I didn't mean to open a can of worms, but it is interesting to see the discussion I've started.

All the best, Nev.

• rickta66
    15 years ago

I picked up a Zulu from Arnold late last year, I like dark neos and it had a catchy name so I couldn't resist.

Zulu - dry

{{gwi:437797}}

Zulu - wet
    {{gwi:437799}}

Rick