Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tillandsia-preventing bloom

Posted by jegcyano MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 4, 10 at 13:35

Hi All, does anyone know of a way to prevent tillandsia (or bromeliads in general) from blooming prematurely? I have great success using rotting apples or Florel to force bloom, but in some cases i would like to prevent bloom in plants that are not quite up to the desired size, or would like to delay seasonal bloom for the purposes of cross pollination. Much obliged. -Joel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tillandsia-preventing bloom

Outside of a Tillandsia vasectomy I've never heard of any treatment to prevent bloomage. Sometimes when the plants have been subject to too much pampering and coddling they can be resistant to flower. Maybe try to over-mother them a bit and when you're ready stress 'em out.

o
RE: Tillandsia-preventing bloom

Joel, we had a discussion of this topic a few years ago (see link below). I don't think we ever came up with a definitive solution, but it may give you some things to think about. The same priciples should apply to Tillandsias as Neos and other genera.

If your primary goal is synchronizing bloom for pollination purposes, however, it might be easier to simply store the pollen of one parent in the fridge (or the freezer if it's going to be longer than a month or two) until the other one blooms. We've had a number of threads on that topic too. You can use the forum search engine to pull them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preventing bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here