Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Hybridising, a nice surprice...

devo_2006
15 years ago

With a few new hybrids on show recently, I thought IÂd show some of mine. One group of neos that has always appealed to me is the radial reds, in fact I prefer them to many of the standard variegated neos. Over the last few years IÂve done a number of crosses with these red striated plants. One I did was a cross with the nice large red marmorated neo Bobby Dazzler, I was aiming for some nice large plants showing both marmoration & the red striation. The grex has shown a very wide range of plants, from red marmorated neos right thru to ones with just red striation, & just a couple with a combination of these markings.

This season a couple of plants from the grex have flowered, & this one is a real surpriseÂit looks nothing like either parent, & seems more like a Barbarian hybrid, than a Bobby Dazzler hybrid. Here are a couple of photos, one taken in the evening, & the other this morning.

{{gwi:437990}}

{{gwi:437991}}

The centre has flushed up nicely, but instead of the usual solid colour flush, it has turned out to be a very bright red on a white background (or is that white on a bright red background?) anyway, itÂs a nice contrast with the marmorated leaf pattern, & brick red of the older leaves.

{{gwi:437992}}

Here are a few photos of some other plants out of the same grex.

{{gwi:437993}}

{{gwi:437994}}

{{gwi:437995}}

{{gwi:437996}}

{{gwi:437997}}

Comments (10)

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Devo - Wow! what a result. You got what you were aiming for as well as some bonus plants. I like them all but really love the colours in the first pic. to my mind, it's really something special.

I was given some seed taken from a plant of Neo. Bea Hanson which I read was a hybrid from unknown parentage.

It hadn't been polinated by the owner, so perhaps insects were responsible. However in the resulting (at this stage still only small) seedlings, two of the twenty five are showing as radial reds while the rest are still green.

Admittedly, they won't be in the same class of yours as the leaves are only pretty skinny but it's the often unexpected results that makes growing from seed so interesting.

Thanks for the pic's, all the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Wow, that first one is awesome! I like the size and distribution of the spots (oh, and the color too). Do you have any pics of it a little further away so we can see the whole plant? I'm interested in how the small spots look from a little ways away. What are you thinking about naming it?

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Great stuff there Andrew! I especially like the first plant as well. I agree it does look as if 'Barbarian' jumped the fence somehow.

I reckon Neoregelia 'Devo's Delight' would be a funky name - :)

K

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Andrew, which was the seed parent, Bobby or the red striate? I'm wondering if some little 6-legged critter may have smuggled in some Barbarian pollen to one of those. I have to say, though, that I've been seeing an awful lot of things popping up in my grexes lately that don't look like what they're supposed to be either. A combination of ant/earwig activity in the flowers, loose or misplaced pollen tags, the odd rogue seed sticking to my fingers when sowing multiple grexes, and just plain old human error, I think. ;-)

Those all look nice, though. I've seen a number of Barb hybrids that look sort of similar to the first one, but yours has the added advantage of nifty indented leaf tips, and the dark red outer leaves set off the center well. I always like it when a marmorate goes white in the cup too, it gives it kind of a multi-dimensional effect.

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Devo,

Devo's Delight is stunning Kerry. Devo might love that name as well. Very nice red marmorated cup. What is it's stiated parent? Don't forget to keep posted of your hybrids.

Cheers
    Yong

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used the striated plant as the seed mother. ItÂs a local hybrid (unregistered) that just goes by the name of carolinae striata, but itÂs similar to Rosea striata. It wouldnÂt surprice meÂoops I mean surprise me ;-)Âif some foreign pollen did get into the mix, however, it couldnÂt have been Barbarian as I didnÂt even have Barbarian in my collection the time this cross was made. Also, when this BD cross was made in Dec Â04, I used the same striated mother plant to cross with Purple Star, that grex has also shown a very wide range of markings, but interesting that none have a hint of marmoration. Here's a pic of the striata x Purple Star grex.

{{gwi:437998}}

IÂd never really given any thought to naming or registering this plant, before it started to colour up just a couple of months ago. KerryÂDevoÂs Delight does have a nice ring to itÂbut not sure IÂd feel comfortable naming my first registered hybrid after myself ;-)
    Andy, here are a couple more picÂs showing the whole plant Âhere it is with a few other broms.

{{gwi:437999}}

And for good measure, a pic from the side.

{{gwi:438000}}

The plant does have similarities to some of Shane ZaghiniÂs Barbarian type hybridsÂbut I think it is good enough to hold onto & propagate.

Cheers, Andrew.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

The plant looks similar to 'Justin's Song'

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Wow, it is a nice plant. From a little ways away it has the effect of Red Waif, but not so waif-like. Congratulations on it!
    -andy

• udo69
    15 years ago

Congrantulation Devo. Nice work. Keep working.
    Yong

• jaga
    15 years ago

Andrew, our theory is, pic 1 might perhaps have some N Correia-araujoi in the mix???