Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I separate these?

Posted by Crenda 10A SWFL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 14:20

These are pups that came up this past spring/summer. The 2 mother plants are gone, but "stumps" remain. I did not move the plants - this is where they came up.

Are they too crowded? You can see, I do have room to separate them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I separate these?

This is a view from the top. There are 4 plants on the outside of this cluster and 1 squeezed in the middle.

I have no ID what the name of the plant is, but they are common in SW Florida. Do they prefer to have a little more room to spread?

Thanks in advance!

o

I wouldn't. Looks really pretty.

o

Looks like Red Tip bromeliads. I like the look of the cluster but I usually separate them when the cluster gets too tight. The pups will produce new pups of their own in a year or so.

o

Thank you both for your input. I like the look right now, but admit I was looking ahead at more crowding with pups in the future. I can deal with that when the time comes.

The plants I see in big box stores are in pots and seem to be wider than these. A friend gave me the first 2 plants, so I wasn't sure if these were too close together.

I have found that the black snakes like to lay around these plants. We surprise each other often. And I have found some big snails in them. I swear they look like escargot! The shells are about the size of a 50 cent piece. Maybe that's what the snakes are after - dinner!

Thanks again!

o

Our bromeliads create their own little eco-system. I find frogs, lizards and other beautiful creatures in and around mine.

o

My friend had them around a pine tree like a big circle. She never separated them. I call them Lipstick plants.

o

It's a matter of personal taste; some growers prefer single plants while others prefer the clumping effect.... the choice is yours.

All the best, Nev.

o

Thanks for all the feedback! I've decided to leave them alone. They are doing well as is and I can spread them out after the next blooming and pupping if decide that is what I'd like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here