Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone on this forum growing Dyckia?

Posted by hotdiggetydam (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 14:22

The spiney ones are addictive for sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone on this forum growing Dyckia?

Hi HDD,

I've just got a few tiny seedlings from seed I was given last year. I don't have a clue what I'm doing, just feeling my way.

Photobucket

All the bes, Nev.

o

Hey Nev,
It looks like you are doing a good job with those babies. What kind of medium is that they are growing in?
The tray that is partially in the last photo looks like a variegated baby of something in that one.
Nice photos
HDD

o

Hi HDD,

Intiially the seed was sown on fine Coco Peat and the take-away containers sealed with a lid and placed on a mesh shelf in a well lit back porch.

The Maternity Ward north

When they were large enough the lid was removed and some drainage holes cut in the container with an angle grinder.

Holes are cut into the bottom

The containers were then placed on a 2" bed of damp Coco Peat in a polystyrene box which I believe helps maintain an even moisture for the containers.

Seedlings in the

When they were hardened off I planted them out in a mix of 50% fine Coco Peat and 50% small Perlite and returned them to the bed of Coco Peat in the poly styrene box again with all the other seedlings.

Photobucket

In the other tray that you comment on are Neo seedlings and occasionally I'll get a bit of variegation in a leaf or two but they don't very often amount to anything interesting and revert back to green as they mature.

So far so good.

All the best, Nev.

o

Your seedling system is impressive. Very efficient :)
I cant wait to see some of your mature babies in the future.

o

I also grow Dyckia's but not from seed. Have about 60 different sp. and hybs.I also have a blog see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: succulent bromeliad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here