Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paradise_island

Bromeliads & Pressure Treated Wood

paradise_island
13 years ago

Hi,

Unfortunately, I realized that my pergola is built with pressure treated wood. The wood is the new ACQ type (alkaline copper quatemary)

I have been reading that the copper in the wood is poisonous and deadly to bromeliads. On page 8 of the "Bromeliads: A cultural Manual" by the Bromeliad Society International, Inc they recommend the following: 'Do not use treated wood unless it has been thoroughly desalted by repeated soakings."

Does anyone know how to properly desalt wood?

Also, has anyone ever used PVC post sleeve, vinyl post wraps or the cladding to cover the existing pressure treated wood?

I am trying to avoid having to remove the entire pergola structure by trying one of these products out.

Thanks for your feedback

Comments (7)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

If the pressure treated wood has aged out and dry, several coats of enamel paint will do the trick. I took a piece of aged lumber to Home Depot and had them mix a color close to the wood in color to avoid a stark color change in my gazebo. After putting all the plants back and hanging the tillandsia it looks fine. Might not be to your liking but it did solve the problem.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi

In my experience, what ever type of barrier you use, be it paint, PVC wrapping or whatever, it must prevent the plants from contacting the actual treated timber and prevent water drips from the treated timber contacting the plants. It's a good idea to move any plants that are directly beneath roof timbers also.

All the best, Nev.

• paradise_island
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thansk for your comments

I am based in the Florida area. To my understanding, enamel paint doesnt hold up well in this area and I will have to constantly reapply the paint. What type of enamel was used for your wood? Was a primer also applied?

What about staining the wood?

I just dont want any of my bromeliads handing under the pergola to be damaged by the copper. Wish I known this before the structure was built

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

My climate is very much like yours. Hot and humid. I used a paint with the primer in it and put on 2 coats. I have had no problems with my broms, before I had leaf and cup damage on my neo's. I would say that it depends on how old your wood is. I have a section of very old treated timbers and have had no damage at all so I didnt paint it. The new flat enamels seem to hold up very well in the heat and humidity.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

When I did mine, I primed all of the timber including all the ends where I'd cut, then gave it all an oil based undercoat and then two finish coats of oil based paint as well.

I have since been told that once the primer and undercoat are on you can finish with a couple of coats of good quality acrylic paint.

If you like to send me your email address I can send you some notes on other options to overcome your problem without painting. Incidently I now have a new email address to the one shown in my profile and it is splinter1804@hotmail.com

I don't know if "Vriesea" is reading this or not but he could advise you as he has been a professional painter all his working life and has plenty of experience with shade houses and brom's as well.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

I have always used treated timber and have only given it 2 coats of a top grade acrylic house paint ,and no problems ever.

• paradise_island
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay, but thanks so much for your advices. I will definitely be in touch via email to retrieve the extra notes and I am also glad to hear that top grade acrylic house paint has not caused any problems.

Sponsored
More Discussions